Crew Trades Diego Walsh to Kansas City
COLUMBUS, Ohio (Thursday, January 15) - Columbus Crew President and General Manager Jim Smith announced today that The Crew has traded midfielder Diego Walsh to the Kansas City Wizards in exchange for a 2005 conditional draft pick. The conditional pick will be either Kansas City's first or second round pick in 2005.
"We wish him the very best of luck with his new team," said Crew Head Coach Greg Andrulis. "This is a very positive move for Diego. He is going to a team that needs a creative midfielder. Obviously, with the continuing emergence of Kyle Martino and the addition and play of Ross Paule last year, we felt it would be best to give a young man that we think highly of the opportunity to go out and find a place he can play."
Walsh was The Crew's first round draft pick (7th overall) in the 2003 MLS SuperDraft. The Brazilian appeared in 14 games for Columbus this past season, starting 6, and had one goal. He will be a senior international in 2004.
The past three days The Crew has acquired midfielders Simon Elliott and Manny Lagos and defender Robin Fraser. The 2004 MLS SuperDraft takes place tomorrow in Charlotte (N.C.) beginning at 10 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 15, 2004
- Earthquakes Head Coach Dominic Kinnear Ready for MLS SuperDraft on Friday, January 16 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Kevin Payne Returns to United Front Office - D.C. United
- Crew Trades Diego Walsh to Kansas City - Columbus Crew SC
- Wizards Acquire Diego Walsh from Columbus Crew - Sporting Kansas City
- Sierra Mist Takes Field as Official Soft Drink of MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC Announces 2019 Team Award Winners
- U.S. Soccer Will Add Additional Seats for USA vs. Sweden in Columbus, Ohio on November 7
- Columbus Crew SC's Luis Diaz and Eloy Room Receive International Call-Ups
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Toronto FC on Sunday
- Columbus Crew SC's Wil Trapp and Gyasi Zardes Receive International Call-Ups