Crawdads Take Game 1 against Shorebirds
Hickory, NC - The Crawdads took game one of the Northern Division Championship Series 4-3 over the Delmarva Shorebirds on Wednesday night.
'Dads starter Ricky Vanasco started the game off with a strikeout on a 97 mile per hour fastball. The Shorebirds were able to get a pair of runs across to take a 2-0 lead.
The Crawdads quickly erased the deficit and climbed ahead 3-2. Facing the South Atlantic League's right-hander of the year, Grayson Rodriguez, the 'Dads worked a 33 pitch first inning, collecting a walk and three hits. Jax Biggers and Josh Jung smacked back-to-back doubles for the first run of the inning. Pedro Gonzalez drew a walk to put runners aboard. Jung and Gonzalez advanced on a wild pitch. Miguel Aparicio doubled down the left field line to bring both runs in and give the Crawdads a 3-2 lead.
Vanasco finished his evening after six innings, giving up two runs, on seven hits and two walks. He struck out seven batters.
In the home half of the sixth, Tyreque Reed extended the lead to two runs with a solo homerun to center field.
Nick Snyder came into the game and pitched a scoreless seventh inning but gave up a run in the eighth to make it a 4-3 ballgame. Kelvin Gonzalez took over in the ninth, striking out the first two batters and getting the final out on a groundball to second.
The two teams will head to Delmarva for games two and three of the series on Friday and Saturday night. The winner of the series will face the Southern Division Champion in a best of five series beginning Monday.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from September 4, 2019
- Lexington Takes Game #1 with 2-1 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Crawdads Pounce Early, Drop 'Birds in Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Crawdads Take Game 1 against Shorebirds - Hickory Crawdads
- Dawkins and Destino Make 2019 SAL Annual All-Star Team - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Yoos Wins Trainer of the Year - Hagerstown Suns
- Playoff Notes: Game 1, SALSCS vs Lexington Legends, 7:05 p.m., SRP Park - Augusta GreenJackets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.