Cox propels Aces to 4-2 win
San Angelo, TX Monday July 30, 2007- The Alexandria Aces got another dominating performance from Adam Cox as the Aces defeated the San Angelo by the score of 4-2 in front of 1,751 fans at Foster Field.
Adam Cox (12-2) worked 7.2 innings, allowed two runs on eight hits, while walking three and striking out 10. Cox has won 11 consecutive starts, since starting the season 1-2. Cox threw 118 pitches, 74 for strikes and kept the Colts batters off balance all night long. Justin Dowdy recored his 17th save of the season, the league leader, in 1.1 innings. Dowdy came in to record the final out in the eighth inning and got Andres Rodriguez to pop out to end the inning. Wilosn Burwell, a defensive replacement for Bryan Sabatella, made a spectacular game ending double play that sent the Aces rushing out of the dugout to celebrate the win.
Eddie Fitzpatrick was 2-for-4 with two doubles and two runs batted in to lead the Aces attack. Fitzpatrick doubled of of Colts starter Luke Massetti in the top of the second inning to score Luis Guance and Bryan Sabatella to make it a 2-0 game, one the Aces would never relinquish. Selwyn Langaigne was 2-for-4 with a solo home run in the top of the eighth inning to give the Aces an insurance run. Tyrone Pendergrass, Josh Tranum, and Evan Cherry also added hits for Alexandria.
Colts starter Luke Massetti worked 8.0 innings, allowing four runs (two earned) on seven hits, while walking one and striking out eight. Massetti (6-4) threw 120, pitches 78 for strikes. Ryan Mulle worked a perfect ninth in relief for San Angelo.
Ronnie Gaines was 3-for-4 with a solo home run and a double for the Colts. Madison Edwards also added a multiple hit affair with going 2-for-3 with two doubles.
With the win, the Aces improved to 48-28 overall and 21-6 in the second half, both league bests. The loss drops the Colts 7 games behind Alexandria with a 36-41 overall record a 14-13 in the second half.
Tomorrow's Probable Starters: ALX-- TBA SAN-- TBA
Next home game: Friday August 2, 2007.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from July 30, 2007
- Aces Double Up Colts 4-2 in Series Opener - San Angelo Colts
- Cox propels Aces to 4-2 win - Alexandria Aces
- Dillas Ambush WhiteWings in Middle Innings - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Dillas Beat WhiteWings, 11-6 - Amarillo Dillas
- Dillas And Colts Swap Players - Amarillo Dillas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th