Coulter Stays Hot at Home in Loss to Sioux City
SIOUX FALLS, SD - It was the beginning of the end for the Birds and their 2019 season. Tuesday marked the first game of the Birds final home series. The Sioux City Explorers (54-40) beat the Sioux Falls Canaries (37-56) 14-4 on Tuesday night at the Birdcage.
The American Association Player of the Week (Aug. 25) Clint Coulter continued to deal damage to opposing teams at home. He finished the night 3-for-4 with a home run and three RBI. Coulter extended his on-base streak to 19.
Keaton Steele had struggled against Sioux City this season. It continued in game one as he went six innings allowing five runs on eight hits and four walks.
The Explorers scored before the Birds came to bat. They scored two runs in the top of the first.
The Birds scored a run in the bottom of the inning. Mitch Glasser singled with one out. Andrew Ely singled him to second, Alay Lago moved him to third on a fielder's choice and Coulter singled him home.
The Birds took the lead in the third inning. Lago doubled with two outs, and once again, Coulter singled him home. The Birds led 3-2 after three.
Sioux City responded in the top of the fourth. A single, a home run, and a couple of base hits later, Sioux City led 5-3. They added two more runs in the seventh and one more run in the eighth.
Coulter added a home run in the eighth and cut the lead 8-4, but Sioux City added six in the top of the ninth. Brett Verigan entered to pitch the top of the ninth with two outs and gave up a three-run home run. The first three runs of the ninth were charged to Harrison Cooney. It was the second time Vertigan has pitched in a game this season.
The Canaries will be back in action Wednesday. They will take on their I-29 rivals the Sioux City Explorers in game two of the three-game series. The pregame show starts at 6:45 pm and the first pitch is set for 7:05 pm. For more information on game tickets, group outings or promotions, call the Canaries Front Office at (605) 336-6060, or visit the Canaries official website at www.sfcanaries.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 28, 2019
- Abercrombie Ties Franchise Home Run Record in Comeback Win - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Win 60th Game for Fourth Time in Franchise History, Lower Magic Number to Two in 4-3 Win over RedHawks - St. Paul Saints
- Six Run First Fuels Explorers Victory - Sioux City Explorers
- Sinibaldi's Stellar Start Not Enough in 3-2 Loss to Goldeyes - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Dogs Defeat Milkmen Behind High-Octane Offense - Chicago Dogs
- Offence Shines in Win over RailCats - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Santiesteban's 3 Hits, 4 RBIs Not Enough in 13-7 Loss to Goldeyes - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Jordan Twirls and Offense Explodes - Sioux City Explorers
- Coulter Stays Hot at Home in Loss to Sioux City - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Ninth Inning Comeback Falls Just Short in 11-9 Loss to Dogs - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.