Cougars Sign Goaltender Ty Young to a WHL Standard Player Agreement
PRINCE GEORGE, BC- The Prince George Cougars are pleased to announce 2004-born goaltender Ty Young has signed a Western Hockey League (WHL) Standard Player Agreement.
"Ty is another goaltender in our system that has a great mix of size and athleticism and has the potential to be a top-level netminder in our league," said Cougars' Director of Scouting Bob Simmonds. "He has a great work ethic and has shown a lot of growth in his game over the last two seasons."
Young was drafted by the Cougars in the eighth round, 158th overall, in the 2019 WHL Draft. The 16-year-old started the 2020-21 season with the Under-18 AAA Lethbridge Hurricanes in the Alberta Elite Hockey League (AEHL). In three games, Young was undefeated, with a 1-0-2 record (W-L-T) and owned a 2.33 goals-against average (GAA), and a .926 save percentage (SV%).
Last season, the Coaldale, AB product played in 17 regular season games with the Hurricanes, and sported a 10-5-2 record, to go along with a 2.54 GAA, and a .913 SV%. He also had one shutout. The 6'3", 180-pound netminder played in eight playoff games last spring and posted five wins to go along with a 2.41 GAA, and .915 SV%.
With Young signed, the Cougars have now signed six selections from their 2019 WHL Draft class.
Images from this story
Goaltender Ty Young
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 4, 2021
- Numerous Winterhawks on AHL Opening Night Rosters - Portland Winterhawks
- Cougars Sign Goaltender Ty Young to a WHL Standard Player Agreement - Prince George Cougars
- Korczak Assigned to Golden Knights Taxi Squad - Kelowna Rockets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Prince George Cougars Stories
- Scoring Dries up in 5-0 Loss
- Armstrong Nets Four to Push Cougars past Giants
- Cougars Slay Giants
- Cougars Pick up a Point in OT Setback
- Brennan Spectacular as Cougars Dropped in Shootout