Cougars Pitch Another Shutout
GENEVA, IL - The Kane County Cougars have shut out their opponents 11 times this season, and six of those have come in August, thanks to a 2-0 blanking of the Clinton LumberKings in front of 6,203 fans at Elfstrom Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
Scott Deal and Sam Demel combined on the four-hitter, as the Cougars won their fifth in a row and seventh out of eight. They're now one game out of a playoff spot because Cedar Rapids, the current wild-card leader, lost Sunday.
Alex Valdez doubled home Jermaine Mitchell in the first inning off Zach Phillips for a 1-0 lead. Valdez has five hits in the series, all of which are extra-base knocks, and he's driven in at least one run in five straight games. Josh Horton's sacrifice fly in the eighth scored Larry Cobb for the final run of the game.
Deal (6-10), who picked up his first win since late July, stifled the L'Kings over seven innings, giving up four hits, walking one and fanning six. Demel retired all six batters he faced for his third save, which runs the Cougars' bullpen's streak of consecutive scoreless innings to 20 2/3.
The Cougars (33-27) will try to sweep Clinton (25-37) on Monday night at 6 CT in the finale. Henry Rodriguez (5-7) is scheduled to face Kasey Kiker (5-4).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 26, 2007
- Loons Rally Falls Short In Lansing - Great Lakes Loons
- Butler Does it to the Bees - Burlington Bees
- Cougars Pitch Another Shutout - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Offense Silenced in 2-1 Loss to Beloit - Peoria Chiefs
- Butler Goes the Distance - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Swing Walk Off with Win in 11th - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Lugnuts Survive Late Rally - Lansing Lugnuts
- Offense Quieted after Early Homer, Caps Fall to Dragons - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Figure Out Whitecaps, Win 9-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Garrett White, Adolfo Gonzalez Promoted - Great Lakes Loons
- Kernels win 10th in a row; Herndon wins 12th - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.