Cooper Fills Out Coaching Staff
BAKERSFIELD, CA - Newly-appointed Bakersfield Blitz Head Coach Mike Cooper (Northern Arizona, '90) has filled out his coaching staff, team officials said today. Pending league approval, Eric Mahanke (Fresno State, '98), Kenny Haslip (USC, '99) and Nick Onaindia (Utah State, '01) will assist Cooper through the remainder of the 2007 season.
Eric Mahanke has been named the team's new offensive coordinator. Mahanke, a native of Newbury Park, CA, played in 11 games this season for the Blitz, catching 57 passes for 537 yards and 3 touchdowns. Defensively, he recorded 31 tackles and had 3 interceptions. He also recovered a fumble in the end zone with under a minute to play to help the Blitz hold off the Stockton Lightning, 45-42, in Week 4. Mahanke has been sidelined with an injury since June 30th.
Kenny Haslip has been named the team's new defensive coordinator. Haslip, a former WR/DB from Pasadena, CA, played for the AFL's Los Angeles Avengers, af2's Central Valley Coyotes and the Bakersfield Blitz.
Finally, Nick Onaindia has been named the Offensive and Defensive Line Coach for the Blitz. Onaindia played in 10 games in 2007 before being placed on Long Term Injured Reserve on June 19th. He had 36.5 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 4 blocked kicks and two forced fumbles before being sidelined due to injury.
"We think the fans will be happy with the staff that Coach Cooper has brought together," said Blitz President/General Manager Andrew Watkins. "All three assistants have had great Arena Football careers and bring a wealth of experience to the organization. We're excited to see what they do in the final two games of the season."
The Blitz will play their final home game of the 2007 season this Saturday, July 21st against the Stockton Lightning. Great seats are still available as low as $10 by visiting the Rabobank Arena Box Office or any Ticketmaster outlet. For more information, please call 661-377-2548 or visit www.bblitz.com.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 19, 2007
- Texas Copperheads game notes - Texas Copperheads
- af2 week 17 Friday night matchups - af2
- Willis Joins Shock - Spokane Shock
- Coyotes Head to Boise - Central Valley Coyotes
- af2 Week Seventeen: Quick Hitters - af2
- E-Blitz Newsletter - Bakersfield Blitz
- Chick Fil A Night With The Copperheads - Texas Copperheads
- On Track For Back To Back - Green Bay Blizzard
- Air Force Recruiting Service To Present The Wolves With The 2007 American Spirit Award - Manchester Wolves
- Cooper Fills Out Coaching Staff - Bakersfield Blitz
- Fans Can Bid On Game Worn Jerseys At Burn's Home Finale Saturday - Boise Burn
- Fire seek season ticket and ownership support in quest for AFL - Louisville Fire
- Firecats Benton Mr. 1000 - Florida Firecats
- Wildcats Planning Final Regular Season Home Game Festivities This Saturday Night - South Georgia Wildcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.