Columbus Crew Announces Pair of International Call-Ups
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew today announced that defender Milos Degenek (Australia) and forward Gyasi Zardes (United States) have earned international call-ups for their respective national teams ahead of 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers.
Degenek [pronounced: ME-lowsh DEGG-uh-nick] is currently with the Australia National Team ahead of a home match against Vietnam at AAMI Park in Melbourne (January 27) and a road contest against Oman at Sultan Aqboos Sports Complex in Bowsher, Oman (February 1). Australia currently sits in third place in Group B of AFC's FIFA World Cup Qualifiers, behind only Saudi Arabia (16 points) and Japan (12 points). The top two teams in the group will secure an automatic berth in the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
The 27-year-old recently signed by the Crew has earned 33 caps for the Socceroos while scoring one goal. The defender most recently featured for Australia in a World Cup Qualifier against China in 2021 (November 16).
Zardes has been selected for the U.S. Men's National Team's roster ahead three upcoming matches, including a home qualifier against El Salvador, set to be hosted at Lower.com Field, Columbus Crew's dynamic home in Astor Park (January 27). The U.S. also has a road contest against Canada at Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton, Ontario (January 30) and a home match against Honduras at Allianz Field in St. Paul, Minnesota (February 2). The United States (15 points) currently sits second in the Third Round of Concacaf FIFA World Cup Qualifiers, behind only Canada (16 points). The top three teams in the table are set to automatically qualify for the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
Zardes has earned 66 caps for the Stars and Stripes while tallying 14 goals and 10 assists. Zardes' most recent cap came on in an international friendly against Bosnia and Herzegovina last year (December 18).
The Black & Gold are set to open the 2022 MLS season by hosting Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Lower.com Field in Opening Match on Saturday, February 26 at 3:30 p.m. ET. Following the home opener, the Crew hits the road and travels to face the San Jose Earthquakes at PayPal Park on March 5 for the first away match of the season. The Crew's full schedule for the 2022 MLS regular season can be found at ColumbusCrew.com.
The 2022 season will be the Black & Gold's 27th in MLS and the first full season at Lower.com Field, located in Astor Park. Fans looking to experience Crew matches have several options to save money, while getting the best seats for marquee matches. Season Ticket Memberships include benefits such as private, member-only events; a 10 percent discount at the Crew Shop; monthly, interest-free payment plans; the ability to purchase discounted parking; pre-sale access to all events at Lower.com Field, Historic Crew Stadium and FirstEnergy Stadium; and a dedicated account manager and service representative.
Fans can also choose between various packages that offer great benefits and ticket discounts, including Nine-Match Ticket Plans, Five-Match Ticket Plans, and Group Ticket Plans which are on sale now. Fans can additionally purchase single-match tickets, which are now available.
Supporters interested in securing their seat for the 2022 season can call 614-447-2739, visit columbuscrew.com/tickets or email email@example.com to get connected with a Ticket Sales Representative.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 25, 2022
- Sounders FC Roster Update from Preseason Camp in Tucson - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Sign Goalkeeper Justin Vom Steeg - Portland Timbers
- Sergio Ruiz: 'My Focus Was Always on Charlotte FC' - Charlotte FC
- FC Cincinnati Announce Preseason Roster for January 24 - February 3 - FC Cincinnati
- Earthquakes Sign Defender Tanner Beason to New Contract - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire FC Trades Goalkeeper Damian Las' Homegrown Rights to Austin FC - Chicago Fire FC
- Austin FC Signs U.S. Youth International Goalkeeper Damian Las - Austin FC
- Columbus Crew Announces Pair of International Call-Ups - Columbus Crew SC
- Spice World Named an Official Partner of Orlando City SC and Orlando Pride - Orlando City SC
- Austin FC Exercises Offseason Buyout on Ulises Segura - Austin FC
- Inter Miami CF Announces Squad Numbers for 2022 Season - Inter Miami CF
- Whitecaps FC Loan Goalkeeper Evan Newton to El Paso Locomotive FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- New York Red Bulls Name Troy Lesesne Assistant Coach - New York Red Bulls
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Anton Sorenson to a Homegrown Player Contract - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City SC Acquires an International Roster Slot from CF Montréal - Orlando City SC
- CF Montréal Acquires $200,000 in General Allocation Money and a Third-Round Draft Pick from Orlando City SC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Lukas Macnaughton - Toronto FC
- Sean Davis: 'I Want to Bring Something Special to Nashville' - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF to Host Peruvian Side Club Universitario de Deportes in First International Friendly - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew Inspires Latest Mural Series in Short North Arts District
- Lower.com Field to Host Columbus Crew and Columbus Crew 2 Doubleheader this Saturday, May 21
- Columbus Crew Fans Set Guinness World Records© Title for Longest Chain of Sports Fan Scarfs to Support on Our Sleeves®
- Columbus Crew Supporters' March to the Match Returns this Weekend
- Columbus Crew Adds Noah Fuson on Short-Term Loan from Columbus Crew 2