Colorado Rapids Acquire Australian International Defender Alex Gersbach
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - The Colorado Rapids announced today they have signed defender Alex Gersbach from Ligue 2 side Grenoble Foot 38 on a three-year deal with a club option for an additional year, pending completion of his medical and receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P-1 Visa.
"We're delighted to continue reinforcing our roster with a player like Alex," said Pádraig Smith, Colorado Rapids Executive VP & General Manager. "Alex is a technical fullback who brings a high level of energy and ability to consistently get up and down the flank. We look forward to welcoming him to Colorado and incorporating him into our group."
Gersbach joins the Rapids after spending the bulk of his career in Europe, most recently in France's Ligue 2 with Grenoble. The 25-year-old fullback spent two seasons with GF38, logging 45 appearances and two assists across all competitions.
Prior to his move to Grenoble, Gersbach spent time in Denmark (Aarhus Gymnastikforening), the Netherlands (NAC Breda), France (RC Lens) and Norway (Rosenborg) since making his professional debut at age 17 with Australia's Sydney FC. Notably, Gersbach was part of the Rosenberg side that won three consecutive league titles between 2016 and 2018, as well as two Norwegian Football Cups (2016, 2018) and one domestic super cup (Mesterfinalen; 2017). The Australian also featured in six UEFA Europe League matches during his time with the Dutch club. His performances with Rosenberg earned Gersbach the Harry Kewell Medal in 2017, an annual award given by the Professional Footballers Australia (PFA) to an Australian player under 23 for outstanding play in the A-League or abroad.
At the international level, Gersbach has represented Australia five times, including appearances in an AFC World Cup Qualifier and the Confederations Cup, both in 2017. He was also part of Australia's squad at the 2019 AFC Asian Cup.
TRANSACTION: Colorado Rapids sign defender Alex Gersbach from Grenoble Foot 38 to a three-year deal with a club option for an additional year, pending completion of his medical and receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P-1 Visa, on January 30, 2023.
Birthdate: May 8, 1997
Birthplace: Auburn, Australia
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 30, 2023
- New York Red Bulls Announce 2023 Theme Night and Giveaway Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Announce 2023 Theme Nights - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Hosts Watch Party for Team's FIFA Club World Cup 2022 Opening Match - Seattle Sounders FC
- Brandon Vazquez, Roman Celentano Return to FC Cincinnati Following USMNT Camp - FC Cincinnati
- Seattle Sounders FC Embarks on Historic First FIFA Club World Cup Journey - MLS
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Australian International Defender Alex Gersbach - Colorado Rapids
- Apple and Major League Soccer Add 31 Talented On-Air Personalities to the MLS Season Pass Broadcast Team - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Weekly 'Colorado Rapids Podcast' to Launch Ahead of Season Opener
- Rapids Close Out Preseason with Tenacity, Fall to Orlando City SC, 3-2
- Preview: Colorado Rapids Set to Face Orlando City SC in Preseason Finale
- Colorado Rapids Unveil One Flag Kit Ahead of the 2024 Season
- Lewis Records Brace in Rapids Draw against Hartford Athletic