Clippers to Make 10th Season at Huntington Park Extra Special in 2018
COLUMBUS- The Columbus Clippers announced they will be hosting BOTH the 2018 Triple-A All-Star Game AND the 2018 Triple-A National Championship Game, the first time that a single city has hosted both events in the same season.
Clippers President & GM Ken Schnacke said, "As we considered what to do to make the 10th season at Huntington Park special, it became apparent to us that hosting these two events and tying them together in an all season long tribute to Triple-A Baseball was something that had a great deal of potential and appeal to us. We hosted the second Triple-A All-Star Game back in 1989; so it certainly was our turn as other cities have already hosted it a second time. We also felt that the Triple-A National Championship Game in mid-September would be a nice exclamation point to a 10th year celebration of us moving to the Arena District in downtown Columbus."
The 2018 Triple-A All-Star Game will played on July 11, 2018 at Huntington Park and will feature professional baseball's "stars of tomorrow". The 2018 Triple-A National Championship Game will feature the champions of the International League and the Pacific Coast League in a one-game, winner-take-all shootout on September 18, 2018, also at Huntington Park. Columbus fans are well versed with the drama and tradition of the game as the Clippers won back-to-back National Championships in 2011 and 2012, while losing their third appearance in 2015.
The Greater Columbus Sports Commission, Franklin County, the City of Columbus, and an array of sponsors headed by presenting sponsor Huntington Bank have all joined forces with the Clippers to make these events in 2018 a fitting tribute for central Ohio.
On hand for the announcement were the President of Minor League Baseball, Pat O'Conner; and the President of the International League, Randy Mobley. Over 350 fans were in attendance as the two logos for these special events were unveiled. The logos were created by Fahlgren-Mortine of Columbus. The team announced that there will be no ticket details or other announcements about these two events until late fall of 2017.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from April 6, 2017
- Indy Spoils Hens' Opener with Five-Run 7th - Toledo Mud Hens
- Tribe Rallies Past Mud Hens Behind Three Home Runs - Indianapolis Indians
- Pigs Host First Friday Night Fireworks of 2017 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pigs and Paw Sox Postponed in Season Opener - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- PawSox and IronPigs Postponed Due to Rain - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Thursday's IronPigs-Red Sox Season Opener Postponed - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Durham Bulls Game Notes 4.6.17 - Durham Bulls
- Clippers to Make 10th Season at Huntington Park Extra Special in 2018 - Columbus Clippers
- IronPigs Introduce Industry-First Food Finder Mobile Site - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Red Wings, Chiefs Postponed on Opening Day - Rochester Red Wings
- Chiefs Postpone First Two Games of the Season Due to Inclement Weather - Syracuse Mets
- Tides Announce Opening Day Roster - Norfolk Tides
- Tommy Kahnle Promoted to Chicago Today - Charlotte Knights
- SWB RailRiders Opening Day Roster - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Clippers Opening Day Roster - Columbus Clippers
- Rochester Game Notes, April 6 at Syracuse - Rochester Red Wings
- IronPigs and Paw Sox Square off for Opening Day - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- LHV Game Notes 4-4 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Charlotte's 2017 Opening Knight Roster Revealed - Charlotte Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Clippers Stories
- Former Clippers Coach Hop Cassady Passes Away
- Bobby Bradley and Eric Haase Named I.L. Postseason All-Stars
- Free Governors' Cup Playoff Tickets Return for 2019 at Huntington Park
- Clipper's Game Suspended
- Bobby Bradley Honored as May International League Player of the Month