Clash Of Division Leaders Highlights Lancers Weekend
The Omaha Lancers (27-8-2, 56 Pts.) resume United States Hockey League (USHL) action this weekend at the Omaha Civic Auditorium with a visit from the top two teams in the East Division. First on Friday, the USHL's finest collide as the West Division-leading Lancers host the East-leading Green Bay Gamblers. Green Bay (27-6-3, 57 Pts.) has a stranglehold on the East Division standings with a 13-point edge over 2nd place Cedar Rapids. The Gamblers, however, have much stiffer competition in the overall USHL standings as they hold just a one point edge in league play over the Lancers. Green Bay is currently in the midst of the USHL's longest winning streak this season having reeled off 12 consecutive victories. That bests Omaha's 10-game winning streak posted from October 22nd through November 13th earlier this season. The Gamblers haven't lost since a 3-1 defeat at the hands of the Sioux City Musketeers back on December 12th. Friday's contest is just the second get-together this season between the Lancers and Gamblers. Omaha claimed the opening round with a 5-0 shutout at the Civic Auditorium back on October 16th. Omaha's weekend doesn't get any easier as the East Division's 2nd best team, the RoughRiders, comes to town on Saturday. Cedar Rapids (21-15-2, 44 Pts.) has won four straight games and six of its last seven overall entering the weekend. The RoughRiders have outscored the opposition 21-4 during its recent four-game run, including a season-high 10-1 victory over Sioux Falls last Friday. The run also includes a 2-0 shutout over the Lancers back on January 17th - the only RoughRiders' victory through the first three games in the season series between Omaha and Cedar Rapids.
Friday, January 29th vs. Green Bay Gamblers, 7:05 PM, Omaha Civic Auditorium
**Star Wars Night Presented by Yellowbook**
Saturday, January 30th vs. Cedar Rapids RoughRiders, 7:05 PM, Omaha Civic Auditorium
**$1 Suds & Dogs from 6-7 PM! Youth Hockey Night!**
**Radio coverage for both games can be found on 1290 AM KKAR or www.1290kkar.com.**
NEWS & NOTES FOR FRIDAY'S MATCH-UP OF DIVISION LEADERS
* Friday's contest features the only two teams in the USHL to have surrendered fewer than 100 goals against to this point in the season (Green Bay: 76 GA, Omaha: 91 GA)
* Green Bay and Omaha are currently 1st and 2nd among all USHL teams in goals-against on a per game basis as the Gamblers surrender just 2.1 goals per game while the Lancers give up 2.5.
* Friday's match-up will also pit Omaha's top rated power play (25.1%) against Green Bay's league-leading penalty kill (86.8%).
* Omaha's Jeff Teglia & Green Bay's Steve Summerhays are currently 1st & 2nd among all USHL netminders with 21 and 20 wins this season, respectively. Summerhays owns the league's best goals-against average (1.98) and has personally won 14 consecutive starts in goal.
* Something will have to give way during Friday's tilt as Omaha's league-leading offense, which has posted three or more goals in 29 of 37 games this year hosts Green Bay's stingy defense, which has surrendered fewer than three markers in 23 of 36 total outings this year.
* Omaha's Matt White leads all USHL skaters with 24 goals this season while Green Bay's David Makowski leads all USHL blue-liners with 13 markers on the year.
* Finally, Friday's clash features the USHL's last two Anderson Cup champions after Omaha claimed regular season bragging rights in 2008 and Green Bay a season ago.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 27, 2010
- Strang, Yevenko, And Teglia Earn Weekly USHL Honors - USHL
- Walters Shines At USHL All-Star Game With Hat Trick - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Two Ice Forwards Make College Commitments - Indiana Ice
- Musketeers Face Off For Charity - Sioux City Musketeers
- Clash Of Division Leaders Highlights Lancers Weekend - Omaha Lancers
- U.S. National Under-17, Under-18 Teams To Welome USHL Foes to Ice Cube - U.S. National Team
- Serratore, Holstrom Score In USHL All-Star Game - Youngstown Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.