Chris Jones Resigns as Roughriders General Manager & Head Coach
The Saskatchewan Roughriders have accepted Vice President of football operations, general manager and head coach, Chris Jones resignation request in order to pursue an NFL coaching opportunity.
"We are proud of what Chris came in and accomplished through his three seasons as general manager and head coach," stated Riders President & CEO Craig Reynolds. "His work obviously didn't go unnoticed and we congratulate him on his opportunity in the National Football League and thank him for his contribution to the Saskatchewan Roughriders."
Chris Jones was originally hired on December 7, 2015.
After going through a 5-13 rebuilding season in 2016, the Riders improved to 10-8 under Jones' guidance in 2017 and appeared in a division final for the first time since 2013.
Last season, the Green and White finished with the CFL's second best record at 12-6 and hosted the West Semi-Final.
Jones was named CFL Coach of the Year for his efforts.
Reynolds added, "We are fortunate to have many quality football leaders and coaches on our staff. We will evaluate and will look to fill the vacancy quickly."
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from January 15, 2019
- Chris Jones Resigns as Roughriders General Manager & Head Coach - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Tiger-Cats Re-Sign Offensive Lineman Palmer - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Riders Release Jordan Williams-Lambert to Pursue NFL Opportunity - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Alouettes Sign Receiver Ernest Jackson to a One-Year Extension - Montreal Alouettes
- Toronto Argonauts Re-Sign All-Star Ryan Bomben - Toronto Argonauts
- RedBlacks Re-Sign Nigel Romick - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Eskimos Release Neil King - Edmonton Eskimos
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers re-sign CFL's Most Outstanding Defensive Player Adam Bighill - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.