Chiefs Wrap up First Pre-Season Weekend with 5-2 Loss to Seattle
Everett, Wash. - The Spokane Chiefs wrapped up their weekend in Everett with a 5-2 loss to the Seattle Thunderbirds Saturday afternoon.
Seattle got off to a hot start with Jared Davidson scoring just 13 seconds into the game. The Chiefs tied things up about halfway through the period when defenseman Saige Weinstein found the net with help from rookie Will McIsaac and veteran Cade Hayes.
The Thunderbirds scored back-to-back goals at 13:24 and 14:01 to take a 3-1 lead before 2022 WHL Prospect Draft second-round pick Owen Martin scored his first pre-season goal as a Chief with just over a minute left in the period.
That would be as close as Spokane got, though, as Seattle went on to score two more goals - a power play goal and a short handed goal - at 19:24 in the first period and 17:03 in the second period to seal the 5-2 victory.
The Chiefs couldn't capitalize on any of their seven power plays throughout the game, and went 1-for-3 on the penalty kill.
Despite the loss Spokane was aggressive to the net and outshot Seattle 40-26, including 18-6 in the third frame.
Manny Panghli started in net for the Chiefs and turned aside 12-of-16 shots, while rookie netminder Cooper Michaluk went 9-for-10 after relieving Panghli halfway through the game.
Up next, the Chiefs will play their third pre-season game against the Portland Winterhawks at Eastern Washington University on Thursday, September 15 at 5:00 p.m. Tickets are available for purchase by phone (509-535-PUCK), in-person at the Spokane Chiefs Box Office or online here. Tickets are general admission and will cost $10 each (all ages).
The Chiefs' 2022-23 regular season will begin on Friday, September 23 as they visit the Victoria Royals before hosting the Kamloops Blazers in their home opener at Spokane Arena on Saturday, October 1. Ticket packages for the 2022-23 season are available now! For more information, visit spokanechiefs.com or call a ticket account executive at 509-535-PUCK.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 10, 2022
- Broncos Sign Dawson Gerwing to Standard Player Agreement - Swift Current Broncos
- Raiders Score Late Game Winner to Take a 3-2 Win over Regina - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Complete Weekend Sweep over Rebels - Calgary Hitmen
- ICE Transactions - Winnipeg Ice
- Preseason Game #2 - ICE 3 Brandon 1 - Winnipeg Ice
- Oil Kings Edged by Blades - Edmonton Oil Kings
- T-Birds Improve to 2-0 in Preseason Play - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Chiefs Wrap up First Pre-Season Weekend with 5-2 Loss to Seattle - Spokane Chiefs
- Oil Kings Sign Forward Luke Robson to a WHL Standard Player Agreement - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Giants Sign 2005-Born Defender Will Subject - Vancouver Giants
- Pats Host Raiders in First Pre-Season Home Game - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Spokane Chiefs Stories
- Chiefs Host Rockets Friday Night to Kick off December
- Spokane Chiefs and Local Schools Raise $5,894 at School Night
- Chiefs Struggle Against Everett, Give Up 5 Goals In The 2nd
- Chiefs Host Winter Warmth Clothing Drive as They Take on the Silvertips Sunday
- Chiefs Fall to Rival Americans 4-2 on the Road