Chiefs Release Overage Players Brkin and Hanas
Spokane, Wash. -- The Spokane Chiefs announced on Wednesday that they have released goaltender Bailey Brkin and forward Kaden Hanas. Both have cleared WHL waivers and are now free agents.
"This is one of those difficult situations where we have to look ahead to our overage limit and make a tough decision," said general manager Scott Carter. "We appreciate the hard work Bailey and Kaden put in as Spokane Chiefs and wish them the best moving forward.
"With the acquisition of (Czech goalie) Lukas Parik in the import draft and our crowded 20-year-old situation, we felt it best to allow both to become free agents so they may find another team, either in the CHL or another league while teams are still looking," Carter added.
Brkin, acquired in a trade with Kootenay in January 2018, appeared in 52 regular season games with Spokane, including 45 as the primary starter during the 2018-19 campaign. He recorded a 2.75 goals against average and career-best .914 save percentage last season, earning 27 wins. He started all 15 of the Chiefs' 2019 playoff games, posting a 2.55 GAA and .922 SV%.
Hanas was signed by the Chiefs midway through the 2018-19 regular season and made the jump from the AJHL to the WHL on January 12. He recorded three assists and 33 penalty minutes in 21 regular season games before scoring his first WHL goal in one of 15 playoff games played.
The roster moves leave Spokane with five 1999-born players eligible to return for the 2019-20 season: F Jake McGrew, F Ethan McIndoe, D Noah King, D Filip Kral and G Reece Klassen. Western Hockey League teams are allowed a maximum of three overage players. Those with more than three overage players to start the season must be under the limit by October 16.
Ticket packages for the 2019-20 regular season are available now and start as low as $80! Save off single game rates and see the biggest games of the year.
For more information, visit the Chiefs' Ticket Office at Spokane Arena, call 509-535-PUCK or go to spokanechiefs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from August 7, 2019
- T-Birds Announce 2019 Training Camp Schedule - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Chiefs Release Overage Players Brkin and Hanas - Spokane Chiefs
- Foote, Dach Lead WHL Talent at 2019 Sport Chek World Junior Showcase - Saskatoon Blades
- Winnipeg ICE and Corus Radio Sign Five Year Broadcast Agreement - Winnipeg Ice
- Chuck a Puck Returns for 2019-20 - Brandon Wheat Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Spokane Chiefs Stories
- Chiefs Hire Ryan Smith as Associate Coach
- Brad Ginnell Released to Waivers, Claimed by Moose Jaw
- Adam Maglio Announced as Chiefs' Next Head Coach
- Manny Viveiros Accepts Head Coach Position with Henderson Silver Knights
- Chiefs Select Defenseman David Jiricek in CHL Import Draft