Chiefs Release Goaltender Reece Klassen
Spokane, Wash. - The Spokane Chiefs announced on Wednesday that overage goaltender Reece Klassen has been released and cleared WHL waivers.
"Given our numbers at the goalie position as well as our overage situation, this is a move we needed to make," said general manager Scott Carter. "We'd like to thank Reece for his time as a Spokane Chief and wish him the very best moving forward."
Klassen was acquired by the Chiefs from Lethbridge just before the trade deadline in January 2019. With Spokane, he appeared in 13 games, posting a .905 save percentage and 2.71 goals against average.
The roster move leaves Spokane with three goaltenders: 2001-born Lukas Parik, 2002-born Campbell Arnold and 2003-born Mason Beaupit. The move also helps clarify the Chiefs' overage situation, as they are now carrying four 1999-born players: D Noah King, D Filip Kral, F Jake McGrew and F Ethan McIndoe. The team will need to be under the league-mandated limit of three by Oct. 15.
Spokane begins their regular season schedule at Kamloops on Friday.
The Chiefs open their home schedule with Bud Light Opening Night & Pre-Game Party on Saturday, Sept. 28 versus the Tri-City Americans! The party starts outside the main entrance to Spokane Arena at 4 p.m. with music, food and drinks. Arrive early to see the team "walk the red carpet" and sign autographs to kick off the season.
Tickets for Bud Light Opening Night and all Chiefs home games are available online at spokanechiefs.com and via the Chiefs' Ticket Office, over the phone at 509-535-PUCK or in-person at Spokane Arena.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 18, 2019
- Oil Kings Rank Eighth in Pre-Season Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Saskatoon Blades Rank Third in Pre-Season Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - WHL
- Korczak re-assigned to Kelowna - Kelowna Rockets
- Silvertips Returned Defenseman Wyatte Wylie from the Philadelphia Flyers (NHL) - Everett Silvertips
- Nutrien Face-Off for Hunger Details Announced - Saskatoon Blades
- Chiefs Release Goaltender Reece Klassen - Spokane Chiefs
- Defenseman Jackson Caller Clears WHL Waivers - Kamloops Blazers
- Winnipeg ICE Announce Leadership Group for 2019-2020 Season - Winnipeg Ice
- Comrie released from Philadelphia - Kelowna Rockets
- Pre-Game Ceremonies Planned - Brandon Wheat Kings
- 2019-20 Tigers Season Preview - Medicine Hat Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.