Chiefs Prepare for U.S. Priority Draft and WHL Prospects Draft
The Spokane Chiefs hockey staff will select the next class of future Chiefs this week as the WHL will host two drafts. The WHL U.S. Priority Draft will take place on Wednesday, May 18 before the annual WHL Prospects Draft on Thursday, May 19. Real-time results will be available at WHL.ca/draft.
U.S. Priority Draft
The 2022 WHL U.S. Priority Draft will consist of two rounds and 44 selections, with each WHL Club presented with the opportunity to make two draft choices. Spokane holds the 8th and 37th overall picks.
The order of selection was determined on April 21, 2022 through the 2022 WHL U.S. Priority Draft Lottery, with all 22 WHL Clubs holding an equal opportunity to obtain the first-overall selection. Players eligible for the 2022 WHL U.S. Priority Draft are 2007-born players who reside in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming. Players not selected in the 2022 WHL U.S. Priority Draft will remain eligible to be selected in the 2021 WHL Prospects Draft on Thursday, May 19, or listed by a WHL Club at any time thereafter.
The first round of the 2022 WHL Prospects Draft, including a 30-minute pre-show, will be livestreamed FREE via WHL Live on CHL TV. All that is required is to register and login using a free account with CHL TV, no subscription is necessary. The 2022 WHL Prospects Draft Pre-Show begins with co-hosts Chris Wahl and Taylor Rocca at 9:30 a.m. MT, with live draft coverage beginning at 10 a.m. MT.
The Chiefs have eight picks within the top 100 selections, including eighth-overall, as well as one choice in the second round (27th), two in the third (49th and 59th), two in the fourth (67th and 71st) and two in the fifth (93rd and 96th). The draft will continue indefinitely until all teams pass on their next pick, usually lasting approximately 12 rounds.
Players eligible for the 2022 WHL Prospects Draft are 2007-born players who reside in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories, Yukon, Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
Players not selected in the 2022 WHL Prospects Draft will remain eligible to be listed by WHL Clubs at any time thereafter.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from May 17, 2022
- WHL Announces Western Conference Championship Series Schedule - WHL
- WHL Announces Western Conference Championship Series Schedule - Seattle Thunderbirds
- WHL to Host 2022 U.S. Priority and Prospect Drafts this Week - Tri-City Americans
- Western Hockey League to Host 2022 WHL U.S. Priority and Prospects Drafts this Week - WHL
- Silvertips Ready for 2022 WHL Draft Week - Everett Silvertips
- Tetachuk Connects with Teammates, Fans During Incredible Season - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Game Day Hub: Round 2, Game 7 vs Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- 2022 WHL Prospects Draft Pats Preview - Regina Pats
- Chiefs Prepare for U.S. Priority Draft and WHL Prospects Draft - Spokane Chiefs
- ECC SERIES Preview: Edmonton Oil Kings vs. Winnipeg ICE - Edmonton Oil Kings
- T-Birds Even Series, Force Game Seven - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Portland, Seattle Set for Game 7 on Tuesday - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.