CHIEFS NEWS: Smith Named WHL Western Conference Defenseman of the Year, First-Team All-Star
Calgary, Alta. - The Western Hockey League announced on Wednesday that Spokane Chiefs defenseman Ty Smith has been named Western Conference Defenseman of the Year as well as a Western Conference First-Team All-Star for the 2018-19 regular season. He joins Josh Brook of the Eastern Conference's Moose Jaw Warriors as nominees for the league's Bill Hunter Trophy for WHL Defenseman of the Year.
Smith, who was selected by the New Jersey Devils in the first round (17th overall) of the 2018 NHL Entry Draft, earns the honors after a dynamic season during which he scored 69 points (7G-62A) in 57 games played. He would be the second Chief to take home the WHL's top defenseman award, joining Brenden Kichton (2012-13).
Smith is no stranger to WHL awards as he was named the league's Scholastic Player of the Year and a Western Conference First-Team All-Star for the 2017-18 campaign.
His 2018-19 campaign pushed him into sixth in franchise history for career points by a defenseman and was one assist shy of the single-season record by a rearguard. Smith ranked first among all WHL defenseman in assists and fourth in points.
He competed for Team Canada at the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship, recording three assists, including Player of the Game honors after a two-assist performance against Chiefs teammate Filip Kral and the Czech Republic.
The Chiefs' 2019 WHL Playoffs schedule begins with Games 1 & 2 versus Portland at Spokane Arena on Friday, March 22 and Saturday, March 23. Saturday night's game will also be a Buck Night, with $1 hot dogs and Coca-Cola products at select concession stands all game long.
Tickets for the playoffs are available online, over the phone at 509-535-PUCK and in-person at the Spokane Chiefs' Ticket Office at Spokane Arena.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 20, 2019
- Raiders Rank Second in Final Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - WHL
- Fix-Wolansky Named Eastern Conference Player of the Year, First Team All-Star - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Silvertips General Manager Garry Davidson Named Back-To-Back WHL Western Conference Executive of the Year - Everett Silvertips
- Wolf, Dewar Capture Honors - Everett Silvertips
- CHIEFS NEWS: Smith Named WHL Western Conference Defenseman of the Year, First-Team All-Star - Spokane Chiefs
- Kelowna Rocketsthomson Earns Conference Honours - Kelowna Rockets
- Long-Time Rebels Equipment Manager Horning Surpasses 2,000-Game Mark - Red Deer Rebels
- Riley Woods Named Western Conference Second Team All-Star - Spokane Chiefs
- Glass and Blichfeld Win League Awards - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals' Scott Walford Named to Western Conference All-Star Team - Victoria Royals
- Bowen Byram Named a First Team Western Conference All-Star - Vancouver Giants
- Michael Dyck Named WHL Western Conference Coach of the Year - Vancouver Giants
- Raiders Earn WHL Conference Awards, All-Star Team Spots - Prince Albert Raiders
- Mattheos Chosen Second Team All Star - Brandon Wheat Kings
- WHL Announces 2018-19 Conference Award Winners - WHL
- 2019 WHL Bantam Draft Lottery Results Revealed - Prince George Cougars
- WHL Announces 2018-19 Conference All-Star Teams - WHL
- Winnipeg ICE Win 2019 WHL Bantam Draft Lottery - WHL
- Rockets retain spot at upcoming WHL Bantam Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- Wheat Kings to Select 6th Overall in Bantam Draft - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Rockets' Season Concludes with Tiebreaker Loss - Kelowna Rockets
- Royals to Face Blazers in First Round of 2019 WHL Playoffs - Victoria Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.