Chicago Uses Strong 3rd Period To Take Down Sioux City
GENEVA, IL - The Musketeers were at Fox Valley Ice Arena on Saturday night to take on the Chicago Steel in the final game of the week for Sioux City. The Musketeers played a strong two periods but Steel responded with an even stronger 3rd. Taking this one by a final score of 5-1
One of the keys for Sioux City coming into tonight was to play a physical game and that was on display in the 1st period. Sioux City recorded over ten hits in the period and early it on it threw the Steel off their game. The Musketeers also did an excellent job on the forecheck leading to several offensive zone turnovers for Chicago. Sioux City's hustle and physical play also led to a couple power play opportunities in the period. Unfortunately, the Musketeers would be unable to capitalize. The period would eventually end with the score tied at 0.
The game opened up in the 2nd period leading to a couple prime scoring chances for Sioux City. Early in the period, Martin Pospisil made an impressive backhand pass to the slot to a waiting Jordan Steinmetz but Justin Robbins made a nice glove save to keep the Musketeers off the board. Chicago would end up striking first at the 14:38 mark of the 2nd period when Nick Abruzzese finished off a one-timer to give the Steel a 1-0 lead. The Musketeers continued to control play for the remainder of the period but couldn't get the tying goal, sending them to the locker room with a 1-0 deficit.
Despite two periods of strong play, the 3rd would swing towards Chicago. Sean Bunting received a 5 minute major for checking from behind and the Steel would score two goals on the ensuing powerplay. Viljami Nieminen got Sioux City back within two with a nice shot to the top shelf but it wouldn't be enough. Chicago scored an empty netter at the 15:49 mark of the 3rd and added another at the 19:33 mark. Final score 5-1.
The Musketeers will now finally head home for two games next weekend with the first one coming against the Des Moines Buccaneers on Friday night. Puck drop set for 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Stampede Roll Past Fargo 7-4 - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Steel Delight Home Crowd on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Chicago Steel
- Lumberjacks Lose Lead Late, Fall to Storm 3-2 in Overtime - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Five to Finish the Weekend - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Chicago Uses Strong 3rd Period To Take Down Sioux City - Sioux City Musketeers
- Recap: Storm Win Overtime Thriller over Muskegon 3-2 - Tri-City Storm
- Waterloo Downs Dubuque 5-0 at Young Arena - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Third Period Barrage Puts Omaha Past Lincoln, 6-2 - Omaha Lancers
- Four-Goal First Period Sinks Phantoms in 5-2 Loss - Youngstown Phantoms
- Disastrous Third Period Sinks Stars in Omaha - Lincoln Stars
- Gameday Preview: Storm Look for Bounce Back Win against Lumberjacks - Tri-City Storm
- Preview - Stars at Lancers - Lincoln Stars
- Defense Stout in 2-1 Victory over Cedar Rapids - Youngstown Phantoms
- Musketeers Close Out The Caps - Sioux City Musketeers
- Tri-City Drops Opening Game of Weekend to Muskegon - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sioux City Musketeers Stories
- Sioux City Musketeers Announce Captains for the 2019-20 Season
- Ethan Haider Earns His 1st USHL Goaltender of the Week Honor
- Seven Sioux City Musketeers Players on NHL Central Scouting Watch List
- Musketeers Release 2019-20 Roster Ahead of the DICK's Sporting Goods USHL Fall Classic
- Sioux City Musketeers 2019 DICK's Sporting Goods USHL Fall Classic Preview