Musketeers Close Out The Caps
MADISON, WI - The Musketeers were in the capital of Wisconsin to take on the Capitols on Friday night and skated their way to a hard-fought 3-1 victory.
Sioux City put the pressure on Madison during the 1st period of tonight's game. Sioux City managed to take advantage of Madison's unstructured play. Sioux City was excellent on the forecheck and as a result had multiple excellent opportunities on a few goalmouth scrambles. Madison managed to keep the puck out the net while Sioux City limited Madison to just 4 shots on net. The period would end knotted at 0.
Madison's main source of offense comes on odd-man breaks and on the rush, and that is exactly when they would score their first one tonight. Chase Brand put one past Ben Kraws on a 2 on 1 break to give Madison a 1-0 lead at the 15:38 mark of the 1st period. The Musketeers would continue to control play and managed to respond under two minutes later. Martin Pospisil came streaking into the offensive zone on the right side, making his way nearly below the goal line. He then dished a backhand pass to a waiting Jordan Steinmetz in front of the net and Steinmetz made it count, tying the game at 1. Pospisil had the only assist on the play. Sioux City would keep the pressure on but Joey Lamoreaux made some impressive saves to keep the game knotted at 1.
The Musketeers would get their 3rd powerplay opportunity of the night just under 6 minutes into the period and they would not be denied. Parker Ford snapped home shot to the top corner to give Sioux City a 2-1 lead on the powerplay. Marcus Kallionkieli had the assist on the play.
Madison made a push with their goalie pulled towards the end of the game but they couldn't beat Ben Kraws. Sam Stange sealed the game with an empty net goal at the 19:32 mark. Final score 3-1.
Ben Kraws didn't have much to do in net tonight but looked good stopping 14 of 15 while Lamoreaux stopped 30 of 32 for Madison. The Musketeers will now head to Chicago for a matchup against the Steel in the final game of the LONG January road trip. Puck drop set for 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2019
- Stampede Roll Past Fargo 7-4 - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Steel Delight Home Crowd on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Chicago Steel
- Lumberjacks Lose Lead Late, Fall to Storm 3-2 in Overtime - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Five to Finish the Weekend - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Chicago Uses Strong 3rd Period To Take Down Sioux City - Sioux City Musketeers
- Recap: Storm Win Overtime Thriller over Muskegon 3-2 - Tri-City Storm
- Waterloo Downs Dubuque 5-0 at Young Arena - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Third Period Barrage Puts Omaha Past Lincoln, 6-2 - Omaha Lancers
- Four-Goal First Period Sinks Phantoms in 5-2 Loss - Youngstown Phantoms
- Disastrous Third Period Sinks Stars in Omaha - Lincoln Stars
- Gameday Preview: Storm Look for Bounce Back Win against Lumberjacks - Tri-City Storm
- Preview - Stars at Lancers - Lincoln Stars
- Defense Stout in 2-1 Victory over Cedar Rapids - Youngstown Phantoms
- Musketeers Close Out The Caps - Sioux City Musketeers
- Tri-City Drops Opening Game of Weekend to Muskegon - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.