Chicago Fire FC Sign Academy Forward Missael Rodríguez to Homegrown Player Contract
CHICAGO - Chicago Fire FC today announced that the Club has signed Academy forward Missael Rodríguez to a Homegrown Player contract. Rodríguez, 18, has been a standout in the Chicago Fire Academy since 2017 and is the 21st Homegrown signing in Club history. Beginning on Jan. 1, 2022, Rodríguez's contract will run through 2025 with a Club option for 2026.
"Missael is a promising young player who has demonstrated strong finishing qualities," said Chicago Fire FC Technical Director Sebastian Pelzer. "We are excited to continue helping him develop and to see his qualities improve within the first-team environment."
Rodríguez is the seventh Homegrown Player to sign with the first team since Jan. 2020. Additionally, with Rodríguez's signing, the Club currently has nine homegrowns under contract through the 2022 season.
"It's a dream come true to sign for my hometown club," said Rodríguez. "Thank you to my coaches, family and friends for helping me achieve this goal."
A Chicago native, Rodríguez joined the Fire Academy at the end of the 2017-18 season, scoring 10 goals and registering three assists in 19 games at the U-15 level. Most recently, Rodriguez scored the game-winning goal in the 80th minute to propel the Fire U-19 team to a 1-0 victory over Solar SC, capturing the inaugural 2021 MLS NEXT U-19 Championship on July 3. Additionally, Rodríguez earned the Golden Boot for the U-19 MLS NEXT Cup Playoffs with a tournament-high eight goals in five matches. Led by head coach Ludovic Taillandier and assistant coach Patrick Nyarko, the Fire U-19 squad finished the tournament with a perfect 4-0-0 record. The Fire scored 17 goals, conceding only four.
"Since joining the Academy, Missael has improved each year and has confirmed his qualities as a goal-scorer," said Chicago Fire FC Academy Technical Director Cedric Cattenoy. "Signing with the Fire is a testament to his qualities and to the hard work and commitment from him and the Academy staff."
Rodríguez will be recognized at Soldier Field during halftime of the Fire's regular season home finale against Real Salt Lake on Saturday, Oct. 23. Tickets for the match, which will serve as the Club's annual Fan Appreciation Night, are currently available for purchase here. Fans will also be invited to stay after the final whistle for a post-match firework show above Lake Michigan. The match will begin at 7:00 p.m. CT.
Transaction: Chicago Fire FC sign Missael Rodríguez to a Homegrown Player contract on Oct. 12, 2021. Beginning on Jan. 1, 2022, the contract will run through 2025 with a Club option for 2026.
Name: Missael Rodríguez
Weight: 162 lbs.
Date of Birth: Feb. 9, 2003
Birthplace: Chicago, Ill.
Hometown: Chicago, Ill.
Citizenship: United States of America
High School: Forest Trail Academy
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 12, 2021
- Inter Miami CF and AutoNation Fill 2,500 Comfort Bags for Cancer Patients - Inter Miami CF
- RSL to Honor Long-Time Icon Kyle Beckerman on November 3 - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Announce Broadcast, Time Change for November 3 Match at Real Salt Lake - Portland Timbers
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- NYCFC Pair Ranked in MLS 22 Under 22 List - New York City FC
- Whitecaps FC Add eMLS Star Power, Sign Gordon "Fiddle" Thornsberry - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire FC Sign Academy Forward Missael Rodríguez to Homegrown Player Contract - Chicago Fire FC
- Inter Miami CF to Help Drive out Cancer on October 20, Host DRVPNK Night Presented by AutoNation - Inter Miami CF
- Daryl Dike Ranks Second in Star-Studded 22 Under 22 Presented by BODYARMOR Rankings - Orlando City SC
- Ricardo Pepi Headlines Star-Studded 22 Under 22 Presented by BODYARMOR Rankings - MLS
- Seventeen-Year-Old Cade Cowell Named to MLS 22 Under 22 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Cole Bassett Named to MLS 22 Under 22 for Third Year in a Row - Colorado Rapids
- 5 Things You Need to Know About MexTour at Bank of America Stadium - Charlotte FC
- The Pitch: MLS Players Stack the Scoring Sheets in FIFA World Cup Qualifying - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire FC Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Names Ezra Hendrickson Head Coach
- Chicago Fire FC to Face Orlando City SC in 2022 Home Opener at Soldier Field on March 5
- Chicago Fire FC Announce 2021 Award Winners
- Chicago Fire FC Announce 2021 Roster Decisions
- Chicago Fire FC Fall 2-0 on the Road at Columbus Crew in Final Match of the Season