Chicago Fire FC, MLS and BPC Celebrate Freedom on Juneteenth with Limited-Edition Jerseys Auctioned
NEW YORK - Major League Soccer today announced plans to recognize Juneteenth - the effective end of slavery in the United States - with a series of initiatives that celebrate freedom. In collaboration with its clubs, Black Players for Change (BPC), an independent organization of Black MLS players, coaches, and staff seeking to increase inclusion in soccer that was established on Juneteenth 2020, MLS programs will include a limited-edition jersey auction, and the playing of the Black National Anthem ("Lift Every Voice and Sing") before matches on the weekend beginning June 18.
"This leaguewide recognition is a wonderful celebration of freedom made possible by our deep collaboration with Black Players for Change," said MLS Executive Vice President and Chief Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Officer Sola Winley. "It was our collective hope to honor this significant moment in American history by celebrating the freedom fighters of our past as well as acknowledging the freedom fighters of today that continue to shine a light on the need for equality, prosperity and freedom for all. In the span of only one year, we have ideated together to take meaningful actions for change both inside and outside of our sport."
The Juneteenth-inspired numbers on the jerseys of all players competing during the weekend of June 18-20 were designed by Indianapolis native Israel Solomon in collaboration with MLS and Black Players for Change. The jersey numbers - presented in a bold, empowering, and visually attractive sharp-line red, black and green pattern - are inspired by Black culture and symbolize ancestry, liberation, and cultural vibrancy.
"When approached with the opportunity to design the Juneteenth-inspired numbers, I wanted to use this platform to educate within a work of art," said Solomon. "After collaborating with MLS and BPC, their clear vision to use this piece as a means to celebrate and educate led to the creation of something that was bold, prideful, and visually attractive."
Download media assets of Juneteenth-inspired jerseys and commemorative boxes
The jersey numbers and the limited-edition jersey packaging illustrate the history and importance of Juneteenth and pay homage to Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass. The imagery reinforces the message that Black players in MLS are standing tall because they stand on the shoulders of the freedom fighters who came before them.
The game-worn jerseys from each team and their commemorative boxes are set to be auctioned off in three phases from June 21-July 19.
Proceeds from the auction will benefit local Chicago nonprofit organization, My Block, My Hood, My City (M3), chosen by Fire defender Andre Reynolds II, the Club's BPC representative. M3 was created to inspire youth, empower communities, and build a better world one block at a time. Through the program, youth from the city of Chicago are provided opportunities to step outside their comfort zone and explore new communities, cultures, and cuisines in an effort to gain a greater understanding of the world.
Fans can find additional information on My Block, My Hood, My City here, and auction information, including how to place a bid, at MLSauctions.com.
"We helped build this initiative to bridge the gap between generations celebrating Juneteenth and everyone who is still being introduced this day," said Toronto FC defender and BPC Executive Director Justin Morrow. "We hope that these jerseys will help shed light on the historical significance of Juneteenth, which is necessary context for where we are in society today. Understanding Black History is imperative to building a better society."
MLS, BPC, and Pitch Black - the League's employee resource group for Black employees - have joined forces on several programs and initiatives to make meaningful change both inside and outside of MLS. On Juneteenth 2020, this collaboration led to impactful programming to educate the League Office staff on June 19 as an important marker in American history. The continuation of play at the MLS is Back Tournament began with a powerful demonstration of more than 170 Black MLS players standing in solidarity with their brothers and sisters in the fight for justice, and the MLS Unites to Vote campaign sought to register all eligible players and MLS staff members to vote in the 2020 election.
MLS clubs also will activate through various initiatives in their home markets to recognize Juneteenth. A list of leaguewide Juneteenth commemoration plans for all clubs is available on MLSsoccer.com.
MLS will continue to collaborate and support BPC's opportunities to use their voices and their platforms as players to make meaningful and sustainable change.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 17, 2021
- Atlanta United Unveils Its First-Ever Third Kit "The Unity Kit" - Atlanta United FC
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Gets Back in Action at New York Red Bulls - Nashville SC
- Shea, Gregore Prepared for D.C. After Three-Week Training Camp - Inter Miami CF
- Toronto FC Announces Three More Youth Affiliates - Toronto FC
- New York Red Bulls Loan David Jensen to K.V.C Westerlo - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Inks Zack Farnsworth to Homegrown Contract - Real Salt Lake
- Inter Miami CF Hires Craig Dalrymple as Academy Director - Inter Miami CF
- NYCFC Named Finalist for ESPN Sports Humanitarian Team of the Year Award for the Fourth Time in Club History - New York City FC
- Neville Ahead of D.C.: "I Can Guarantee Attitude and CommitmentÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire FC, MLS and BPC Celebrate Freedom on Juneteenth with Limited-Edition Jerseys Auctioned - Chicago Fire FC
- FC Dallas Honors Juneteenth and Pride Month During Two Matches in June - FC Dallas
- MLS and BPC Celebrate Freedom on Juneteenth with Limited-Edition Jerseys Auctioned to Benefit Black Communities - MLS
- New England Revolution Game Quotes - New England Revolution
- Inter Miami CF Debuts New, Immersive Fan Video Engagement Experience - Inter Miami CF
- Real Salt Lake Welcomes Vancouver Whitecaps FC in First-Ever Utah Derby - Real Salt Lake
- Nashville Soccer Club Signs Defender Tom Judge and Goalkeeper Tor SaundersÃÂ - Nashville SC
- New and Improved Dike Returns to Orlando Ahead of Busy Summer - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew Announces Single-Match Tickets for Lower.com Field Are Now on Sale - Columbus Crew SC
- New York Welcomes Nashville SC to Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- Tacoma Ends Road Stretch with 4-2 Loss at Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire FC Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Prepare for Road Match against Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 2-1 to Toronto FC at Soldier Field
- Chicago Fire FC Becomes First Professional Sports Team to Partner with Illinois Diversity Council
- Chicago Fire FC and D.C. United Battle to 2-2 Draw at Soldier Field
- Chicago Fire FC Announce Second Annual RAISE for P.L.A.Y.S. Fundraiser