Chicago Acquires Allocation Money from Utah Royals FC, Michele Vasconcelos Acquired by Royals
CHICAGO - Chicago has acquired $55,000 in allocation money from the Utah Royals in exchange for forward Michele Vasconcelos.
"My family and I are grateful for the Red Stars and the opportunity they gave us to be a part of such a great organization," said Vasconcelos. "They always supported us and helped with Scarlett in whatever way possible. I asked for a trade because I wanted Scarlett to be around family and have that support and stability now that she is getting older. We are excited to live around family again but it is bittersweet leaving the Red Stars and a city that we came to love. We will be sad to leave the team, coaches, fans and Chicago."
Acquired by the Red Stars in the second round of the 2018 NWSL College Draft, Vasconcelos made 36 appearances in three seasons in Chicago, scoring three goals and assisting three more during her Red Stars career.
"I want to thank Michele for her time in Chicago," Red Stars Head Coach Rory Dames said. "Her presence both on and off the pitch was influential. We're excited for her opportunity to be close to family while still pursuing her dreams. We wish her all the best. She will always be a part of our Red Stars family."
"The Red Stars gave me my first opportunity to live out my dream, they took a chance on me when I was way off the pace coming back from Scarlett and they believed in me. Rory has supported me throughout all of my time in Chicago and I couldn't have come to a better place to start my career," said Vasconcelos. "Thank you to Rory, Arnim, the front office staff and the amazing women I was able to take the field with every day."
The Red Stars begin their Fall Series against the Washington Spirit on Saturday, September 12 live on Twitch. Kickoff is scheduled for 11am CT.
Images from this story
Michele Vasconcelos with the Chicago Red Stars
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from September 10, 2020
- Thorns FC Home Match against OL Reign Rescheduled for September 15 - Portland Thorns FC
- NWSL Makes Adjustments to Week Two Matches of the NWSL Fall Series - NWSL
- Match against Portland Postponed Due to Poor Air Quality from Wildfires - OL Reign
- NC Courage Match against Houston Dash Moved to Saturday, September 12 at 3:30 p.m. on CBS - North Carolina Courage
- Utah Royals FC Acquires Forward Michele Vasconcelos from Chicago Red Stars - Utah Royals FC
- Chicago Acquires Allocation Money from Utah Royals FC, Michele Vasconcelos Acquired by Royals - Chicago Red Stars
- OL Reign Signs Goalkeeper Carly Nelson to Short-Term Contract - OL Reign
- Courage to Face Houston Dash in First South Pod Match of the NWSL Fall Series - North Carolina Courage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Red Stars Stories
- Red Stars Announce #SHEINSPIRESME Award Winners
- Three Red Stars Selected for Upcoming U.S. WNT Camp
- Chicago Offers Contracts or Exercises Options for All 23 Players
- Chicago Acquires Full Roster Protection in 2020 NWSL Expansion Draft from Racing Louisville FC
- Emily Boyd Suffers Knee Injury