Utah Royals FC Acquires Forward Michele Vasconcelos from Chicago Red Stars
SANDY, Utah - Utah Royals FC has acquired Brigham Young University graduate and Utah native Michele Vasconcelos from the Chicago Red Stars in exchange for $55,000 in allocation money.
"I'm thrilled to be able to do what I love in my hometown," Vasconcelos said. "I grew up going to games at Rio Tinto Stadium, I even played my high school state finals there. I look forward to playing in front of my family and friends, as well as having the added support of my daughter. I am excited to be a part of the Royals and to contribute to the club and community."
The trade marks a return home for Vasconcelos, who grew up in the shadows of Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah. She played high school ball for Alta High School, just under three miles from her new training grounds with Utah Royals FC, and in her senior year she was chosen as the 2011-12 Gatorade Utah Soccer Player of the Year.
"Michele is a talented young forward with deep roots in this community and we are excited to have her as part of this club," General Manager Stephanie Lee said.
After high school Vasconcelos moved down to Provo, Utah, where she spent four years with the BYU Cougars. In 70 matches the forward set records with 30 goals and 27 assists, which are still top-10 all-time marks at BYU. As a senior in 2016, she was selected as the West Coast Conference Player of the Year, capping off a career that started with her selection as the 2012 West Coast Conference Freshman of the Year.
"Michele is quality, her combination of skills is high level and her mindset on top of that is high level," Head Coach Craig Harrington said. "I know we are getting a really good player here that makes our squad stronger."
Vasconcelos, 26, appeared in 31 matches during her time with the Red Stars, 15 of them starts, and notched three goals and three assists.
Vasconcelos to be available via video conference at 3:00 p.m. MT, for the link please contact Meg Van Dyk at (407) 341-1905
TRANSACTION: Utah Royals FC acquired forward Michele Vasconcelos in exchange for $55,000 in allocation money.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from September 10, 2020
- Thorns FC Home Match against OL Reign Rescheduled for September 15 - Portland Thorns FC
- NWSL Makes Adjustments to Week Two Matches of the NWSL Fall Series - NWSL
- Match against Portland Postponed Due to Poor Air Quality from Wildfires - OL Reign
- NC Courage Match against Houston Dash Moved to Saturday, September 12 at 3:30 p.m. on CBS - North Carolina Courage
- Utah Royals FC Acquires Forward Michele Vasconcelos from Chicago Red Stars - Utah Royals FC
- Chicago Acquires Allocation Money from Utah Royals FC, Michele Vasconcelos Acquired by Royals - Chicago Red Stars
- OL Reign Signs Goalkeeper Carly Nelson to Short-Term Contract - OL Reign
- Courage to Face Houston Dash in First South Pod Match of the NWSL Fall Series - North Carolina Courage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utah Royals FC Stories
- Real Salt Lake Announces Departure of Utah Royals FC General Manager Stephanie Lee
- Utah Soccer LLC Transfers Ownership of Utah Royals FC to Group in Kansas City, Kansas
- Utah Royals FC Receives Allocation Money in Exchange for Kelley O'Hara
- Tziarra King and Raisa Strom-Okimoto Share Humanitarian of the Year Award
- Utah Royals FC Defender Kelley O'Hara Named to United States Women's National Team Roster