Charlotte Hornets Sign Free Agents Joe Chealey and Josh Perkins
Charlotte Hornets President of Basketball Operations & General Manager Mitch Kupchak announced today that the team has signed guards Joe Chealey and Josh Perkins. Per team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.
Chealey, who originally signed with the Hornets last summer, had his contract converted into a two-way contract with Charlotte on Oct. 13, 2019. The 6-3 guard appeared in 43 games for the Greensboro Swarm in 2018-19, Charlotte's G League affiliate, posting averages of 16.3 points, 3.6 rebounds and 5.4 assists. The College of Charleston product made his NBA debut in his lone appearance with the Hornets last season on Jan. 30, 2019 against the Boston Celtics, scoring two points with an assist in eight minutes of action.
In five years at Gonzaga, the 6-3 Perkins averaged 10.2 points, 2.8 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 1.2 steals in 153 games. In his final season, Perkins was named to the 2018-19 All-WCC First Team and a finalist for the Bob Cousy Award after averaging 11.0 points, 2.7 rebounds and 6.3 assists in 31.3 minutes as a redshirt senior. The 23-year-old led the conference in total steals (54) and placed second in total assists (234) and assists per game (6.3) during the 18-19 season. As a junior, the Park Hill, Colorado native averaged 12.3 points, 3.1 rebounds, 5.3 assists and 1.2 steals per game. Perkins went undrafted in the 2019 NBA Draft.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from August 6, 2019
- Atlanta Hawks Sign Brandon Goodwin to Two-Way Contract - College Park Skyhawks
- Stockton Kings to Distribute School Supplies and Present Check at Lord's Gym City Center - Stockton Kings
- Skyforce Announces Time Change for Local Player Tryout in Sioux Falls - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Charlotte Hornets Sign Free Agents Joe Chealey and Josh Perkins - Greensboro Swarm
- 2019 Madame Ants Auditions Set - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greensboro Swarm Stories
- Swarm in NBA 2KL Three for All Showdown
- Hornets Sports & Entertainment, HSE Ownership and Charlotte Hornets Players Team up to Establish Fund for Hourly Employees
- Hornets Recall Dwayne Bacon from the Greensboro Swarm
- Greensboro Swarm Adds Jeff Roberson to Roster
- Hornets Sign Joe Chealey to Second 10-Day Contract