Charge Drop Regular Season Finale in Tulsa
The Canton Charge (28-22) were defeated by the Tulsa 66ers (24-25), 108-77, in Canton's regular season finale at the SpiritBank Event Center on Friday night. The Charge finished with their second-best record in franchise history and will await the selection of their playoff opponent on Sunday evening, while Tulsa improved to 24-25.
After three early lead changes and a tie, Tulsa went ahead 14-12 with 6:20 left in the opening quarter and never relinquished their advantage the rest of the way. The game was broke open in the third quarter when the Charge could only score seven points to Tulsa's 23, a new franchise low, and the 66ers led by as many as 39 before Canton's reserves continued to fight until the final buzzer.
The 66ers worked the ball all over the floor with 58 points in the paint to Canton's 38, while running up and down for 40 fast break points to the visitors' seven. Tulsa forced 18 Charge miscues for 27 points, while they surrendered the ball only 11 times for nine points. The two teams split the season series 1-1 with the host team taking each matchup.
Arinze Onuaku had his second double-double in as many nights and his 16th of the year with 19 points on 8-of-13 shooting, 11 rebounds and a steal in 30 minutes. Will Cherry netted 11 points with three rebounds and three steals in 30 minutes. Kyle Randall came off the bench to provide a late spark of 11 points, six boards and a steal in 19 minutes.
Dominic McGuire posted a triple-double of 10 points, 15 rebounds and 13 assists in 38 minutes for Tulsa. Mario Little led all scorers with 31 points on 13-of-22 shooting in 42 minutes. Xavier Alexander provided an all-around effort of 20 points, 13 boards, three steals and two blocks in 39 minutes. Maurice Sutton scored 16 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in 29 minutes of relief.
Be a part of Charge history! Playoff tickets are on sale now and start at just $8! The 2014 Canton Charge Playoffs are presented by Aultman/AultCare, the Canton Repository and FirstEnergy Solutions. Playoff game dates and matchups will be determined this Sunday after regular season games conclude on Saturday night. The selection process will see the top four seeds select in order who they will play from a pool of the bottom four seeds. Tickets can be purchased at CantonCharge.com, Ticketmaster outlets or by calling 866-444-1944.
Fans can stay up-to-date on team news by following the team at: @CantonCharge on Twitter at www.twitter.com/CantonCharge and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/CantonCharge. Fans can get in the conversation throughout the team's 2014 postseason run by using #3rdTimestheCharge.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from April 4, 2014
- Skyforce Gets Offensive in Win over Legends - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- 66ers March Past Charge - Tulsa 66ers
- Legends Come up Short in Shootout in Sioux Falls - Texas Legends
- Vipers Snap Losing Streak with 121-110 Win over Idaho - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- D-Fenders Come up One Point Short to Fort Wayne in Double Overtime - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Charge Drop Regular Season Finale in Tulsa - Canton Charge
- Energy Earn Wire to Wire Victory Behind Record Breaking Performance - Iowa Wolves
- Brown Rallies Armor Past Sevens, 125-114 - Springfield Armor
- Springfield Edges by Delaware 125-114 - Delaware Blue Coats
- Reno Bighorns Acquire Tajuan Porter - Reno Bighorns
- 87ers to Host Fan Appreciation Night on Saturday, April 5 - Delaware Blue Coats
- Playoff Tickets Now on Sale - Santa Cruz Warriors
- NBA D-League Update - G League
- Energy Look to Capture Central Division Title with Home Games Tonight and Saturday - Iowa Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.