Cavs edge out Sun Kings to win first playoff game
LAWTON, OKLA- The Oklahoma Cavs faced number one Yakama Sun Kings in action at the Great Plains Coliseum Tuesday night to beat the visiting team 101-99.
Marvin Phillips opened up the game with an explosion to the basket to get the Cavs on the board first, and they would take an 18 point lead. They would win the quarter 37-19.
The Cavs would keep up the intensity in the second quarter to extend the lead to as many as 22 points. The Sun Kings continued to fight back scoring 26 points in the quarter. Harvey Thomas and Guard Moochie Norris would close the 22 point gap to 8 points before halftime.
During halftime PT Solutions sponsored the $25,000 Hot Shot contest. Two contestants were chosen from the crowd and both fell short of winning the grand prize.
After a break for halftime, Michael Ray Richardson and the Cavs came out of the locker room to try to keep up the energy and the lead. However, the Sun Kings' Thomas would keep them in the game scoring 7 points to take the lead for the first time at the end of the third quarter.
The teams would battle in the fourth quarter tying the game 5 times. Norris would step up for the Sun Kings hitting 10 buckets, and to have the game decided by free throws. Haywood would get fouled behind the arch and would make 2 of his 3 free throws to bring the Cavs within 2 points. With the game tied at 99, Brandon Dean would steal an inbounds pass from Yakama to be fouled and score the 2 free throws and win the game.
Curtis Haywood was the score leader with 19 points, Selvy added 17 points, and Daniels would chip in 10 points.
"This was a great win for us. We didn't give up and we played well for 32 minutes," said Coach Richardson. "We lost concentration, but we showed a lot of heart."
The Cavs will take their show on their road to Yakama for game number two on Friday night. Follow the Cavs game at Gertlestone's at 9:00 p.m. on March 14 for a live webcast. You can also catch them live on Magic 95.
• Discuss this story on the Continental Basketball Association 1 message board...
Continental Basketball Association 1 Stories from March 11, 2008
- Cavs edge out Sun Kings to win first playoff game - Lawton-Fort Sill Cavalry
- Exciting action in opening night of CBA playoffs - CBA 1
- Xplosion beat Miners, Advance to Conference Finals - Pittsburgh Xplosion
- CBA Playoffs Kick Off Tonight - CBA 1
- CBA Announces Playoff Schedule - Minot Skyrockets
- Cavs Read to Swinney Elementary - Lawton-Fort Sill Cavalry
- Johnstown Chiefs Announce Food Drive this Weekend - Lawton-Fort Sill Cavalry
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lawton-Fort Sill Cavalry Stories
- Cavs Defeat Number 2 Kebs, 97-95
- Cavs Bite Razorsharks Back With A Vengeance, 85-80
- Cavs Host Last Two Home Games of the Season
- Cavs Fall Short to the Sharks
- Cavs Beat Stallions for Fourth Time