Cavazos-Galvez Named to All-Star Squad
Brian Cavazos-Galvez, who finished tied for second in the Atlantic League in home runs and led the Lancaster Barnstormers in both RBI and stolen bases during 2015, was selected to the annual year-end league All-Star team by officials of the eight member clubs, it was announced today.
The native of Albuquerque, NM and son of former Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher, Balvino Galvez, finished the regular season with a .267 average, 17 homers and 68 RBI. He also swiped 26 bases on the season.
Cavazos-Galvez' stolen base total was fifth in the league while he finished second in runs scored with 80 and fourth with 214 total bases.
The right fielder's season was marked by huge games. He homered twice in a game on three different occasions, hit a grand slam at Long Island on May 8 and drove in six runs in a 10-7 Lancaster victory at Bridgeport on August 8, the third time on the season he knocked in at least four runs in a contest.
"Brian had a heckuva year all-around offensively," said manager Butch Hobson. "He was a huge part of our second half success."
He joined Bridgeport's Wellington Dotel and Somerset's Aharon Eggleston as All-Star outfielders.
Other selections to the team were Sugar Land's Chris Wallace as the catcher; and Andres Perez and Bryan Pounds of York along with Cody Puckett and Dan Lyons of Long Island and Delwyn Young of Sugar Land as infielders. Sean Burroughs, who split his season between Bridgeport and Long Island was chosen as the DH. John Brownell of Long Island was named the league's top starting pitcher while Somerset's Buddy Boshers and Camden's Matt Gorgen were chosen as relievers.
Somerset Patriots manager Brett Jodie, who led his team to 89 regular season wins and eventually the league title, was named the Manager of the Year.
The Lancaster Barnstormers are entering their twelfth season as a member of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball. Home games are played at Clipper Magazine Stadium in downtown Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Please call 717.509.HITS (4487) or visit LancasterBarnstormers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from October 13, 2015
- Gorgen Named to Post Season All-Star Team - Camden Riversharks
- Dotel Named Atlantic League Player of the Year - Bridgeport Bluefish
- Skeeters Duo Garners Postseason All-Star Accolades - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Four Ducks Earn End-Of-Season All-Star Honors - Long Island Ducks
- Patriots' Manager Brett Jodie, Players Eggleston and Boshers Earn Atlantic League Honors - Somerset Patriots
- Bluefish Announce Offseason Event Schedule - Bridgeport Bluefish
- Cavazos-Galvez Named to All-Star Squad - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Revs' Andres Perez & Bryan Pounds Named All-Atlantic League - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.