Catfish grab a win
Columbus, GA - The Columbus Catfish (1-0) defeated the Charleston RiverDogs (0-1) by a final score of 5 to 3.
Columbus opened the game nothing like the team that was last in the league in batting average in the 1st half. Chase Fontaine hit a bloop single to center field and that scored Maiko Loyola, who had walked and stolen second. In the 2nd, Reid Fronk hit a big blast to right field and gave the Catfish a 2-0 lead. The Catfish would add 3 in the 3rd when Quinn Stewart hit a single to center to score Fontaine and then Fronk tripled down the right field line to score Greg Sexton and Stewart.
David Williams hit a solo home run to right field off of Kevin Boggan to right field to get Charleston on the scoreboard in the 7th inning, which led to some excitement in the 9th. Taylor Holiday hit a double to right field to score Williams and make it a 5-2 game and Charleston brought the tying run to the plate in the form of Jesus Montero, who finished 2nd in the All-Star Game Home Run Derby. Hinkle was able to get him to pop out to McCormick, but then threw a wild pitch to allow Carmen Angelini to score. However, Hinkle recovered to get Krum to ground out to second base to secure a 5-3 win.
Reid Fronk led the way, going 3-4 and just a double shy of the cycle while driving in 3 runs. Chase Fontaine and Greg Sexton each had 2 hits. Jeremy Hall fired 5 shutout innings to record his first win since August 27th, 2007 against Savannah.
For Charleston, Brad Suttle and Dave Williams had 2 hits with Williams getting a home run. Jairo Heredia took his 1st loss of the season after allowing 7 hits in 5 innings.
Charleston and Columbus resume their series tomorrow night at 7 pm with a pitching matchup between Jesse Darcy and Lance Pendleton.
The Catfish are the Class A affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 19, 2008
- Captains Blanked by Lakewood to Begin 2nd Half - Lake County Captains
- Braves rocked by Sand Gnats - Rome Braves
- Drive Begin Second Half with 11-6 Comeback Win - Greenville Drive
- BlueClaws shutout Captains 5-0 to open second half - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Tourists pull out victory - Asheville Tourists
- Power plates four in the fourth; defeats Intimidators - West Virginia Power
- Catfish grab a win - Columbus Catfish
- Intimidators Open Second Half With 10-2 Loss To Power - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- GreenJackets Open Second Half of Season with Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Sun sets on Shorebirds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns pull out win over Shorebirds - Hagerstown Suns
- Captains to host a "Community First Pitch" - Lake County Captains
- 4th of July Fireworks at Classic Park - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.