Carles Gil Named 2019 Major League Soccer Newcomer of the Year
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - New England Revolution midfielder Carles Gil has been named the 2019 Major League Soccer Newcomer of the Year. The 26-year-old Spaniard becomes the first Revolution player to receive the honor, given annually to the best player with previous professional experience who made his MLS debut in 2019. Gil will lead the Revolution into the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs against Atlanta United FC on Saturday, Oct. 19 at 1:00 p.m. ET (NBC Sports Boston / Univision).
The Newcomer of the Year Award, determined by votes from the media, MLS players, and club technical staffs, adds to an already impressive list of accolades for the club's captain. After starting all 34 games of the regular season, Gil was voted the JetBlue Revolution Team MVP by fans, and named the Players' Player of the Year by his teammates. The club's supporters honored Gil as the Midnight Riders' Man of the Year, and he also capped off the season by claiming the Revs' Golden Boot trophy with team-highs of 10 goals and 14 assists.
Gil was one of three finalists for the 2019 Newcomer of the Year award, along with New York City FC's Héber and Toronto FC's Alejandro Pozuelo. Below is a breakdown of the voting results:
Newcomer of the Year
Player % Club % Media % Final %
Carles Gil (NE) 12.16% 21.43% 25.10% 19.56%
Héber (NYC) 8.78% 15.31% 28.57% 17.55%
Alejandro Pozuelo (TOR) 18.58% 5.10% 12.36% 12.01%
Alexandru MitriÈÄ (NYC) 11.15% 15.31% 1.54% 9.33%
Gustavo Bou (NE) 6.76% 9.18% 4.63% 6.86%
Cristian PavÃ³n (LA) 6.08% 9.18% 3.86% 6.38%
Brian FernÃ¡ndez (POR) 11.49% 3.06% 3.09% 5.88%
Eddie Segura (LAFC) 0.68% 10.20% 3.47% 4.78%
Nani (ORL) 5.07% 2.04% 2.32% 3.14%
CARLES GIL's 2019 SEASON AT A GLANCE:
- One of two Revolution players to start 34 games in a single season, playing all but eight minutes, and captained the side in 23 straight games to close the season.
- Voted the club's JetBlue Revolution Team MVP by fans, Players' Player of the Year by his teammates, and Midnight Riders' Man of the Year by the club's supporters.
- Earned the team's Golden Boot trophy after becoming the second player in club history, and one of four in MLS this season, to reach double digits in goals (10) and assists (14).
- Ranked second in MLS and paced all MLS newcomers with 107 chances created, and finished fourth overall with 73 chances created from open play, according to Opta.
- Led all MLS players in possessions won in the final third (50) and successful passes ending in the final third (730), and ranked fourth league-wide with 2,662 touches.
Gil was signed by New England in February 2019 via a then-club-record transfer from Deportivo de La Coruña, and was added to the roster as a Designated Player. He entered MLS with more than 180 appearances across his eight-year senior career, which included stints at Aston Villa in England, and Valencia CF and Elche CF in Spain. He is now the 13th recipient of the MLS Newcomer of the Year Award since its inception in 2007. A native of Valencia, Spain, he is one of only four players of European descent to earn the distinction. Only one Revolution player previously placed as a finalist for the honor - Jermaine Jones in 2014.
MLS Newcomer of the Year Award Recipients
Year Player Club
2007 Luciano Emilio D.C. United
2008 Darren Huckerby San Jose Earthquakes
2009 Fredy Montero Seattle Sounders FC
2010 Ãlvaro SaborÃo Real Salt Lake
2011 Mauro Rosales Seattle Sounders FC
2012 Federico HiguaÃn Columbus Crew
2013 Diego Valeri Portland Timbers
2014 Pedro Morales Vancouver Whitecaps FC
2015 Sebastian Giovinco Toronto FC
2016 Nicolas Lodeiro Seattle Sounders FC
2017 Miguel AlmirÃ³n Atlanta United FC
2018 Zlatan IbrahimoviÄ LA Galaxy
2019 Carles Gil New England Revolution
Gil finished the season ranked among the league's top playmakers, placing first among all newcomers - and tied for fourth overall - with 22 combined goals and primary assists. His 14 helpers ranked fifth in MLS and paced all newcomers, while his 12 primary assists were tied for second most league-wide. Those totals made Gil one of only four MLS players to reach double digits in goals and assists this season, and the second Revolution player to accomplish the feat along with Lee Nguyen (2017).
The midfielder catalyzed the Revolution attack throughout 2019, recording the fourth most touches in MLS (2,662) and notching 107 chances created according to Opta, second most in the league and first among all newcomers by a margin of 24. In addition, he ranked fourth in MLS with 73 chances created from open play, and paced the league with 730 successful passes into the final third. Gil's impact was also evident on the defensive side of the ball, where he won 50 possessions in the final third, 12 more than the next-closest player. His 239 possessions won overall also ranked first among MLS newcomers.
New England returns to action in Round One of the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs on Saturday, October 19 at 1:00 p.m. ET, broadcast nationally on Univision and locally on NBC Sports Boston. The match also airs on the radio at 98.5 The Sports Hub, and in Portuguese on 1260 AM Nossa Radio. For up-to-the-minute information on the Revolution, visit the team's official website at revolutionsoccer.net, or join the conversation and interact with fans on any of the team's social platforms.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 16, 2019
- Home-Field Form Vital for Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs Pacing: Round 1 News & Notes - MLS
- Broadcast Details for FC Dallas' Playoff Match on October 19th Confirmed - FC Dallas
- Four Sounders FC Players Among List of Best-Selling 2019 Adidas MLS Jerseys - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Again Has Major League Soccer's Best-Selling Jersey - LA Galaxy
- Bastian Schweinsteiger Ranked No. 5 on List of Top-Selling Adidas MLS Jerseys - Chicago Fire
- Major League Soccer Unveils 2019 Top-Selling Jerseys - MLS
- New York City FC to Host 2019 Audi MLS CupEastern Conference Semifinalat Citi Field - New York City FC
- New England Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Named MLS Newcomer of the Year - MLS
- Carles Gil Named 2019 Major League Soccer Newcomer of the Year - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: New York Heads to Philadelphia for Round One of the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs - New York Red Bulls
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Orlando City SC
- Revolution Advance to Eastern Conference Semifinal with 2-0 Win against Philadelphia Union
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Philadelphia Union
- Revolution Advance in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with 2-1 Win vs. Montreal Impact
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Montreal Impact Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Play-In Round