Captains Invited to Become Indians' New Class-A Advanced Affiliate
(Eastlake, OH) - The Lake County Captains today received an invitation to become the Cleveland Indians' new Class-A Advanced affiliate, beginning in 2021.
"We are thrilled to receive this invitation from the Indians and Major League Baseball," said Captains General Manager Jen Yorko. "We have enjoyed a wonderful partnership with the Indians for 18 years and the prospect of bringing even higher caliber baseball to our fans is exciting."
Under Minor League Baseball's new structure, the Captains would be reclassified from Class-A to Class-A Advanced. The new affiliation level means Captains fans would see more advanced prospects who are closer to the big leagues.
"We have always treasured being part of the Indians' family," said Captains Chairman and CEO Peter Carfagna. "When we brought the team to Eastlake in 2003, it was an absolute dream come true. We are grateful that the Indians continue to have confidence in our organization, facilities and community."
The Captains have been an Indians affiliate since the minor league club's inaugural season in 2003. In 17 seasons, 92 former Captains have graduated to the major leagues. The Captains have been members of the South Atlantic League (2003-09) and the Midwest League (2010-present), winning the Midwest League championship in 2010.
The Captains look forward to reviewing the full details of the proposal from the Indians and Major League Baseball, known as the Professional Development License (PDL), in anticipation of the 2021 season.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from December 9, 2020
- Hot Rods Invited to A-Advanced in Minor League Restructure - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Beloit Snappers Invited to Become Marlins Affiliate - Beloit Snappers
- Midwest League to Move up to High A, Drop to 12 Teams - MWL
- Bees-MLB Partnership Changes - Burlington Bees
- Major League Baseball Realignment Officially Leaves out LumberKings - Clinton LumberKings
- Captains Invited to Become Indians' New Class-A Advanced Affiliate - Lake County Captains
- South Bend Cubs Receive Invitation to Join New Minor League Baseball System - South Bend Cubs
- Kernels Invited to be a Minnesota Twins Affiliate - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Reds Invite Dragons to Continue Partnership - Dayton Dragons
- Dodgers Minor League Affiliate Plans to Include Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne Invited to High-A by the San Diego Padres - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Invited to Join A's System, Move to High-A - Lansing Lugnuts
- River Bandits Invited to Become a Kansas City Royals Affiliate - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Tigers Announce Whitecaps as Advanced A Affiliate - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.