South Bend Cubs Receive Invitation to Join New Minor League Baseball System
SOUTH BEND, IN - Earlier today, Major League Baseball sent out letters to 120 teams across North America, inviting them to be a part of the new Minor League Baseball system. The South Bend Cubs have received a letter to continue as a Chicago Cubs affiliate and member of the Midwest League.
"We are gratified to have received Major League Baseball's invitation to continue as a Minor League affiliate," said South Bend Cubs Team President Joe Hart. "Our organization will review the full details of the agreement once we receive them and carefully evaluate the proposal to ensure it is mutually beneficial, not just for our team, but for our community and fans before we formally accept."
"We are pleased to invite four of our long-time affiliates to continue working with us and help develop our players," said Chicago Cubs Vice President of Player Development Matt Dorey. "These four teams have combined to work with the Cubs for 66 years, and that is only possible with strong ownership, hardworking front offices and welcoming communities at each level of our system."
The franchise has been a part of the Midwest League since beginning minor league operations in 1988 and has had three professional affiliations (Chicago White Sox: 1988-1995, Arizona Diamondbacks 1996-2014, Chicago Cubs 2015-present). Previously aligned as a Class Low-A league, the Midwest League will transition to Class High-A. A schedule for the 2021 season will be announced once teams have officially accepted the restructured minor league system.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from December 9, 2020
- Hot Rods Invited to A-Advanced in Minor League Restructure - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Beloit Snappers Invited to Become Marlins Affiliate - Beloit Snappers
- Midwest League to Move up to High A, Drop to 12 Teams - MWL
- Bees-MLB Partnership Changes - Burlington Bees
- Major League Baseball Realignment Officially Leaves out LumberKings - Clinton LumberKings
- Captains Invited to Become Indians' New Class-A Advanced Affiliate - Lake County Captains
- South Bend Cubs Receive Invitation to Join New Minor League Baseball System - South Bend Cubs
- Kernels Invited to be a Minnesota Twins Affiliate - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Reds Invite Dragons to Continue Partnership - Dayton Dragons
- Dodgers Minor League Affiliate Plans to Include Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Fort Wayne Invited to High-A by the San Diego Padres - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Invited to Join A's System, Move to High-A - Lansing Lugnuts
- River Bandits Invited to Become a Kansas City Royals Affiliate - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Tigers Announce Whitecaps as Advanced A Affiliate - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- Watch Basketball Madness on March 19 at Four Winds Field
- Meijer and South Bend Cubs Partner with Food Bank to Provide Turkeys for Michiana
- South Bend Cubs Announce 2021 Schedule
- Chicago Cubs Announce 2021 South Bend Cubs Coaching Staff
- South Bend Secures Placement with Chicago Cubs as Advanced-A Affiliate