Caps Win Streak Halted at Three, Settle for Series Split with Team USA
The Madison Capitols win streak is halted at three games after falling to the Team USA U18s, 9-4 at USA Hockey Arena tonight.
The Caps were held scoreless after the opening 20 minutes and found themselves down two.
Madison defenseman Luke Mittelstadt opened up the 2nd period by netting his 12th goal of the season just 28 seconds into the middle frame. Mittelstadt is now tied for 2nd in goals among USHL blueliners.
USA would go on to quickly answer the Mittelstadt goal by scoring one of their own just 24 seconds later. Team USA went on to take a 5-1 lead over the Caps until forward Kyle Kukkonen found the back of the net for his 10th goal of the season. Kukkonen scored the Capitols next goal at 12:35 of the 3rd period while on the power play.
Madison went 2/7 on the power play this evening. Forward Jack Musa netted the other one for Madison tonight when he deflected a shot out front, late in the 3rd period. On the opposite, the Caps killed off all four USA power play opportunities.
Madison returns home next weekend to take on the Chicago Steel and the Dubuque Fighting Saints for a pair of Eastern Conference showdowns.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2022
- Lancers Get Back in the Win Column with a Victory over Sioux Falls - Omaha Lancers
- Fighting Saints Sink Slump in 6-1 Win over Green Bay - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Caps Win Streak Halted at Three, Settle for Series Split with Team USA - Madison Capitols
- Croteau, Hawks Stymie RoughRiders - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Shorthanded Stampede Come up Short in Omaha - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Korpi Shuts out Youngstown, Lumberjacks Blank Phantoms 4-0 - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- 5 Things: Five-Goal Third Downs Black Hawks - Lincoln Stars
- Force Fall to Sioux City in Night One of the Weekend - Fargo Force
- Storm Extends Winning Streak in Road Victory - Tri-City Storm
- Ice Sharks Taken Down 5-3 by Green Bay - Chicago Steel
- Three Third Period Goals Propel Riders Past Saints - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Five Late Flip Friday's Final - Waterloo Black Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Capitols Stories
- Upton Named Assistant Coach at UMass-Amherst, Leivermann Promoted to Head Coach and General Manager
- Mittelstadt Named Defenseman of the Week for Fourth Time After Clark Cup Finals Performance
- Capitols' Historic Season Falls Short in Clark Cup Finals After Game 4 OT Loss
- Late Goal Leads Sioux City Past Caps in Game 3 Battle of Clark Cup Finals
- Caps Fall in Game 2 of Clark Cup Finals, Head Home for Games 3 and 4 with Series Tied Up