Capitals Assign Karl Alzner And John Carlson To Hershey
ARLINGTON, Va. - The Washington Capitals have assigned defensemen Karl Alzner and John Carlson to the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League (AHL), vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today.
Alzner is a second-year pro who stands 6'3", 206 pounds. The 21-year-old native of Burnaby, British Columbia played in 21 games for Washington this year and had five assists. Alzner made his NHL playoff debut last night against Montreal, registering a team-high three blocked shots in 15:09 of ice time. He had three goals and 18 assists in 58 games for Hershey this season and finished third on the team with a +34 rating. Alzner has played in 51 career regular-season games for Washington and has one goal, nine assists and only 10 penalty minutes.
Carlson is a first-year pro who stands 6'3", 204 pounds. The 20-year-old native of Natick, Mass. recorded four points (one goal, three assists) and finished third on the team with a +6 rating after playing all seven games against Montreal. He played in 22 games for the Capitals this season registering one goal and five assists. He finished fifth among all NHL rookies with a +11 rating. Carlson had four goals and 35 assists in 48 games for Hershey this season. In March, Carlson became the first Capitals prospect to be named to the AHL All-Rookie Team since Mike Green, who earned the same honor in April 2006.
Both Alzner and Carlson played important roles as the Bears won the Calder Cup last year. This year, Hershey holds a 3-0 series lead against the Albany River Rats in the East Division finals of the Calder Cup playoffs. Hershey will look to advance to the 2010 Eastern Conference finals tonight, taking on Albany in Game 4 of the East Division finals.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 29, 2010
- Heat Drop the 'Dogs, 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Bulldogs Lose Series Opener 3-2 to Heat - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rats Season Concludes in Overtime - Albany River Rats
- $110,000 Raised, 174 Appearances Highlight Hogs' 2009-10 Community Efforts - Rockford IceHogs
- Eller And Bishop To Play In World Championship - Peoria Rivermen
- Turer Name One Of Bravo Entrepreneur Award Winners - Milwaukee Admirals
- Weekend Playoff Promotion To Hit The Streets Friday/Saturday - Abbotsford Heat
- Capitals Assign Karl Alzner And John Carlson To Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Texas Stars Playoff Update #16 - Texas Stars
- AHL Morning Skate - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Bears Weekly: Sights Set on Division Crown Heading into Final Two Weeks of Season
- Shepard Blanks Phantoms in Debut to Earn Carbery 100th Win
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 3 p.m.
- McMichael Scores Overtime Winner to Leads Bears Past Pens, 4-3
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 5 p.m.