Bulls Capitalize in 11th
The Durham Bulls plated three runs in the 11th inning to hold off Norfolk 11-8 in a wild contest Saturday night at Harbor Park.
With the score knotted at 8-8 in the 11th, Ji-Man Choi hit an opposite-field double to plate Brandon Lowe and give the Bulls a 9-8 lead. Justin Williams followed with a two-run single off of Andrew Faulkner (4-1) to extend the Durham advantage to 11-8.
The Bulls had led the contest 8-5 entering the eighth inning, but Garabez Rosa knotted the score with an opposite-field three-run blast. The homer extended Rosa's hitting streak to six games, over which he's batted .375 (9-24) with two home runs, three doubles and six runs batted in.
Cedric Mullins homered as part of a three-hit night to help pace Norfolk's 10-hit attack, while Joey Rickard added a two-run double. Over his last 22 games, Mullins has now hit .307 (27-88) with three home runs, 13 RBI and nine multi-hit contests.
Chris Tillman got the start for Norfolk and took a no-decision after allowing five runs on eight hits over 3.2 innings of work. He yielded a pair of runs in the third inning before surrendering three more in the fourth, walking three and striking out two while throwing 42 of his 72 pitches for strikes. Tillman, who was placed on Baltimore's disabled list on May 11th with a lower back strain, has now made three rehab appearances between Aberdeen, Delmarva and Norfolk, going 0-1 with a 10.00 ERA (10 ER, 9.0 IP).
Saturday's appearance was also Tillman's 71st career start with the Tides, moving him past Mike Wright for the most starts by a Tide as an Orioles affiliate. 2018 is now the sixth different season that Tillman has pitched for the Tides, matching five other players for second on the franchise list. Only Rick Anderson, who pitched with Tidewater from 1980-1986, has pitched in more seasons for the Tides than Tillman.
Lowe, a Suffolk native who attended Nansemond River High School, continued his blistering stretch at the plate for the Bulls by finishing the contest 3-for-4 with a double, two walks and three RBI. In 11 games since June 21st, the University of Maryland product has now batted .477 (21-44) with eight home runs and 20 runs batted in.
The two clubs will wrap up their four-game series on Sunday afternoon at Harbor Park, with first pitch set for 1:05. Asher Wojciechowski (4-4, 3.84) is set to make the start for Norfolk and will be opposed by right-hander Forrest Snow (5-4, 3.48).
On Sunday Funday, families can meet actor Thomas Ian Nicholas, star of "Rookie of the Year" and "American Pie", as he'll be on the concourse to take photos and sign autographs. The first 4,000 fans on Sunday will also receive a collectable photo of Cedric Mullins, courtesy of 92.9 The Wave.
Notes: Chris Tillman is the 21st player to appear on both the Tides and Orioles roster this season, and he's the 53rd different player to play in a game for Norfolk this year...Jhan Mariñez struck out two in a scoreless inning of relief, his ninth consecutive scoreless appearance...After going 1-for-20 with runners in scoring position over the first two games of the series, Norfolk went 3-for-9 with RISP...The game lasted three hours and 51 minutes - Norfolk's longest game of the season.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 30, 2018
- Indians Drop Third Straight, Lose on Walk-Off Homer - Indianapolis Indians
- Bulls Capitalize in 11th - Norfolk Tides
- Robson, Rodriguez Shine as Hens Slip to Bats - Toledo Mud Hens
- Knights Drop Saturday's Contest to Stripers 5-3 - Charlotte Knights
- Wings Fall to IronPigs 6-2 - Rochester Red Wings
- Stripers Snap Losing Streak with 5-3 Win at Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- Buffalo Loses to Syracuse, 8-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Rally in Ninth, Walk off on PawSox in 10th - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bats Defeat Mud Hens, 6-4 - Louisville Bats
- Dominguez Leads Hot Chiefs Offense to 8-3 Win over Bisons - Syracuse Mets
- Pigs Take First Two in Rochester - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- The Setup: Pigs Go for Series Win in Rochester - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Beat the Heat at NBT Bank Stadium, Sunday, July 1st - Syracuse Mets
- Chris Rowley: from West Point to Western New York - Buffalo Bisons
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Saturday, June 30, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- 6.30.18 Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (43-35) at Columbus Clippers (40-39) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 30 - Louisville Bats
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.