Bugs Power Past Pilots
The Shreveport Mudbugs (25-20-9) dramatically came back late in the game to beat the Topeka Pilots, 3-2 in OT in front of a packed house Saturday night at Georges Pond in Hirsch Coliseum.
Topeka got help with the powerplay ending at 18:47 when Austin McCarthy powered home a goal from the left point which found its way into the net to give the Pilots the early 1-0 lead. Despite trailing 1-0, the Bugs put a good push in the opening out-shooting the Pilots, 18-8 after one stanza.
The Mudbugs continued their strong push into the 2nd period and got rewarded at 8:48 when Jay Feiwell guided a 2 on 1 and threw it across to Carson Nichols who slammed home his 2nd goal of the season tying the game up, 1-1. Topeka however came right back and scored on a tricky shot from Shane Hathaway which found its way in to give the Pilots the lead back at 2-1 at 10:51. The Bugs led in SOG, 28-21 after two periods of play.
The Mudbugs found themselves trailing 2-1 late in the 3rd period and got a magical fortune with 29 seconds left in the game. With the goalie pulled and the extra attacker on the ice, it was Gueorgui Feduolov who was able to jam in his ninth goal of the year from the far post to dramatically tie the game, 2-2. Ethan Harrison and C.J. Regula earn the assists on the equalizer.
The game went into OT where Regula rammed home his 10th goal of the year at 4:09 on the powerplay snapping a 0 for 27 PP funk and stopping a four-game losing streak all in the process. The goal lifted the Bugs to a 3-2 OT victory over the Pilots.
Leo Chuard picks up his 15th win of the season as he made 24 saves on the night.
The Mudbugs will continue their last homestand of the regular season at Georges Pond in Hirsch Coliseum as they battle their playoff foe in the Corpus Christi Ice Rays starting next Friday night. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:11 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from March 16, 2019
- IceRays Suffer First Shootout Loss of Season - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bugs Power Past Pilots - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Maryland Climbs to Win off Mountain's OT Winner - Maryland Black Bears
- Hot Goaltender Stifles Bruins, Fall to Blizzard 4-1 - Austin Bruins
- Tomahawks Fall to Northeast 4-3 in Overtime - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Titans Lose to the Knights, 2-1, in Overtime - New Jersey Titans
- McCarthy Scores Clutch Game-Winning Goal in Overtime, Pilots Knock off Mudbugs 2-1 - Topeka Pilots
- Quick Hits: NAHL Game 53 Preview - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights
- Today Is CASA Night - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Wings Give up 3 in the 3rd, Fall 5-4 Friday - Aberdeen Wings
- Knights Move into Playoff Spot with Shutout Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights
- Jackalopes Fall 7-2 in Amarillo - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.