Bucks Beat Rayz 4-2
LAREDO, Texas Â– The defending CHL Champion Laredo Bucks eliminated the Corpus Christi Rayz from playoff consideration with a 4-2 win in front of 5,158 fans at the American Bank Center. Laredo defenseman Oriel McHugh scored a pair of goals to power the attack as the Bucks improved to 8-0-1 in the last nine games. The Bucks are 31-22-3 with 65 points and the Laredo win, coupled with an Austin Ice Bats loss to Rio Grande Valley, means the Bucks can clinch the Southeast Division title with a win at home tomorrow against the Ice Bats. For Laredo Bucks single game or playoff tickets call (956)-718-BUCKS (2825) or log onto www.laredobucks.com and buy tickets online.
The Rayz came out firing looking to end a season high nine game winless streak. All-Star defenseman Bernie John teed up a slap shot from the high slot to make it 1-0 Corpus Christi at 12:32.
In the second period the Bucks took control of the game. Forward Brent Cullaton stole the puck and fed it across the goalmouth to wide open forward James Hiebert who jammed it into the cage at 3:39 to tie the game. It was the 18th of the season for Hiebert and his 10th in the last 12 games. Just under two minutes later forward Steve Simoes got loose on a breakaway. Simoes faked, opened up the legs of the goalie, and slipped the puck home five-hole at 5:31 for his 11th of the season and a 2-1 Laredo lead. Ninety seconds later it was defenseman Oriel McHugh scoring on a one-time blast for a power play lamp at 6:58 to make it 3-1 Bucks. It was the eighth of the year for McHugh.
Early in the third McHugh struck again as he picked up his second of the night at 4:16. It was the second two goal game of his pro career. FINAL SCORE Laredo 4, Corpus Christi 2.
David Guerrera was solid stopping 21 of 23 shots to improve to 4-0-1 in his last five starts and overall to 15-12-2. Brent Zelenewich took the loss allowing four goals on 36 shots to drop to 11-14-7. The Bucks went 1-6 on the power play while Corpus Christi was 0-2.
â€¢ Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 11, 2005
- Laredo tops Corpus Christi 4-2 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Blazers blank Brahmas 1-0 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Bucks Beat Rayz 4-2 - Laredo Bucks
- Levy and Bees Shutout Austin 4-0 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- LEC/Bucks Whataburger Celebrates Grand Opening Monday - Laredo Bucks
- Thunder announces first round playoff schedule - Wichita Thunder
- Jr. RiverKings start spring season soon - Mississippi RiverKings
- Oilers vs. Tarantulas - Tulsa Oilers
- Tarantulas team up with Muscular Dystrophy Association - Topeka Tarantulas
- Killer Bees Game Night Preview (vs. Austin) - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- RiverKings game day preview - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.