Brule Up For Award/WHL Bantam Draft Approaches
The final week of April is a busy one for the Vancouver Giants. Forward Gilbert Brule is in the running for Western Hockey League Rookie of the Year while the Giants search for another junior star in the making when they participate in the 2004 WHL Bantam Draft.
On Wednesday April 28, the Western Hockey League hands out its annual year-end awards in Calgary at 10:30am PST. Brule, a native of North Vancouver, is the Western Conference nominee for top rookie honours. Brule had a stand-out 1st year with the Giants, finishing 2nd in team scoring with 25 goals and 35 assists, as well as collecting 100 penalty minutes. In 11 playoff games, Brule picked up 4 goals and 5 assists. If Gilbert wins the award, he will become the 1st Giants player to win a WHL award. Last season, Adam Courchaine was runner-up for the leagues Most Sportsmanlike Player of the Year.
The following day, the WHL conducts in annual Bantam Draft. All 20 teams from across the league gather in Calgary to select the best 1989-born players from across B.C., Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and the western United States. Current Giants such as Brule, Mark Fistric, Aaron Sorochan, and Mitch Bartley were all Top 2 round bantam picks in their respective draft years. This year, the Giants have one pick in the 1st round (14th overall), and a total of 4 picks in the first three rounds.
For more information on the WHL awards and bantam draft, visit www.vancouvergiants.com or www.whl.ca.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 26, 2004
- Silvertips Set for the 2004 WHL Bantam Draft - Everett Silvertips
- Nastiuk named Greyhound WHL Player of the Week - WHL
- Brule Up For Award/WHL Bantam Draft Approaches - Vancouver Giants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Dawson Holt Named WHL on the Run Player of the Week
- David Tendeck Named WHL Eli Wilson Goaltending Goaltender of the Week
- Thrilling Third Period Comeback Lifts the Giants to a Game 2 Victory
- Giants Draw First Blood in WHL Western Conference Championship Series
- Giants Announce Western Conference Championship Series Schedule