Brujan on Base Four Times in 5-3 Loss to Tampa
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. - Vidal Brujan reached base four times Tuesday, but the Charlotte Stone Crabs gave up a 3-1 lead and lost 5-3 to the Tampa Tarpons at Charlotte Sports Park.
With the Stone Crabs (6-13) leading 3-1 in the top of the eighth, Tarpons (8-11) centerfielder Pablo Olivares singled before Diego Castillo reached on an error. Two batters later, Dermis Garcia lined a two-run double to the gap in left to tie the game at three. The next batter was Isiah Gilliam, who lifted a two-run home run to right to give Tampa a 5-3 lead.
Despite the loss, Charlotte right-hander Tobias Myers twirled four scoreless innings, striking out four while allowing only two hits and one walk.
With the game scoreless game in the top of the second, Garcia singled to left against Charlotte opener Jhonleider Salinas. After a Gilliam walk, Steven Sensley pulled an RBI single to right to give Tampa a 1-0 lead. With runners at second and third and nobody out, Salinas buckled down to retire the next three batters and keep it at a one-run margin.
Trailing 1-0 in the bottom of the third, Charlotte right fielder Thomas Milone reached first with a bunt single. Brujan followed by lining a triple to right to tie the game 1-1. Two batters later, Carl Chester slashed a triple to the right field corner to score Brujan and give the Stone Crabs a 2-1 lead.
In the bottom of the fifth, Brujan drew a leadoff walk before advancing to third on an errant pickoff attempt. With one out, Chester grounded a ball to second. Brujan broke for home and beat the throw to the plate, giving the Stone Crabs a 3-1 lead.
Brujan finished the night 2-for-3 with two walks, two stolen bases, two runs and one RBI. He's now batting a team-best .333 and leads the Florida State League with 10 stolen bases.
The Stone Crabs will look to salvage the finale of the three-game set at 1 p.m. on Wednesday. Paul Campbell (1-2, 6.60) makes the start for Charlotte against Deivi Garcia (0-2, 3.75) of the Tarpons. The game will not be broadcast but can be followed on MiLB Gameday.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from April 23, 2019
- Howard Hurls Gem to Lift Clearwater to Series-Tying Win over Florida - Clearwater Threshers
- Fire Frogs Flummoxed by Threshers Staff, 1-0 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Brujan on Base Four Times in 5-3 Loss to Tampa - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Baddoo Lifts Miracle Over Bradenton, 2-1 - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Stone Crabs Game Notes - Tue, Apr 23 vs Tampa - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Tortugas Take Jays to School on Education Day, 3-1 - Daytona Tortugas
- Mize Pitches Flying Tigers Past Mets, 4-1 - St. Lucie Mets
- Wilson, Ramos Ram Threshers, 7-1 - Florida Fire Frogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Stone Crabs Stories
- Stone Crabs to Participate in Minor League Baseball's 2020 Copa de la Diversion
- Stone Crabs Complete Best Season in Franchise History
- Tommy Romero Named FSL Pitcher of the Year
- Wednesday's Stone Crabs-Fire Frogs game postponed
- Hulsizer Power, Smith Speed Lifts Crabs Past Frogs 4-3