Brisker, Lawrence Lift Lugnuts to 1-0 Win
LANSING, MI. - Markus Brisker threw out Bobby Stone at home plate to preserve a scoreless tie, and then provided the tie-breaking RBI double in the eighth inning to support a superb performance from Casey Lawrence, as the Lansing Lugnuts (3-2) eked out a 1-0 victory over the South Bend Silver Hawks (2-6) on Friday night at The Cove.
The game lasted just two hours and five minutes, thanks in part to a fine pitcher's duel between the Lugnuts' Lawrence and the Silver Hawks' Patrick Schuster.
Lawrence (1-0) allowed only three hits over seven scoreless innings, while striking out two, to earn the win.
All of the South Bend hits arrived in the sixth inning as the Silver Hawks put forth their best threat. With two outs, Stone at second base and Raul Navarro at first, Mike Freeman lined a single into right field. Brisker fielded the ball cleanly and delivered a throw to catcher Carlos Perez in the air, allowing a clean tag of Stone to end the inning.
South Bend's Schuster was also finished after seven frames, limiting Lansing to just two hits and two walks while striking out one.
Dan Taylor (1-1) relieved him for the eighth and allowed a one-out single to Balbino Fuenmayor, one of the third baseman's two hits in the game. After a wild pitch moved to Fuenmayor to second, Taylor bore down and struck out Garis Pena. Brisker followed by yanking a line drive down the left field line to plate the game's only run.
Scott Gracey worked around a one-out double in a scoreless eighth for Lansing, and Steve Turnbull struck out a pair in a perfect ninth for his third save of the series.
The Lugnuts return home on Friday, April 15th, to host the Dayton Dragons on Opening Night, Part 2 at Cooley Law School Stadium, with special $2 pricing for draft beer and pop. Right-hander Misaul Diaz (0-0, 6.75) starts for Lansing against Dayton right-hander Daniel Tuttle (0-0, 4.50).
Tickets are available for purchase online at www.lansinglugnuts.com, at the stadium box office, and by calling 517-485-4500.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 14, 2011
- Kernels Top Wisconsin, 11-4 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Rally, Then Fade In Loss To Kernels - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kings Outlast Beloit In 13 Innings - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Win 5-1 on a Near "No-No" - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps sputter in 4-1 loss to Hot Rods - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chiefs Nearly No-Hit Thursday, Lose 5-1 - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps Lose Game, Series To Great Lakes - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 5-Run First Inning Helps Captains to 7-3 Win Over Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Take Three of Four from Dayton - Lake County Captains
- Silver Hawks Drop Pitchers' Duel 1-0 - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Brisker, Lawrence Lift Lugnuts to 1-0 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bandits Drop Series Finale 1-0 in Extra Innings - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars Snap Skid with Walk-Off Win - Kane County Cougars
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Play at Home April 15-20 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Celebrate Mother's Day with the Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Homestand Preview: April 18-20 - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday April 14 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.