Brigade Responds To Arena Football League's Announcement Regarding Suspending Play For 2009 Season
The Kansas City Brigade, in response to the Arena Football League's decision to suspend play for the 2009 season, today outlined plans with its coaches, players and staff, and made available procedures for fans that already purchased tickets to receive refunds.
"We are disappointed that we will not be playing in the 2009 season, but we agree with and support the need for the Arena Football League to take this time to strengthen its financial foundation to ensure long-term success," said Brigade General Manager Brad Likens. "We are very proud of the achievements of the Kansas City Brigade over the last three seasons, and we remain committed to fielding a strong team in 2010."
Earlier today, the Arena Football League announced that its owners had voted to suspend play for the 2009 season, opting to focus their efforts on strengthening the league for 2010 and beyond. The owners agreed that by implementing long-term structural and financial improvements, the league will be able to expand its unique brand of football to more fans in the future.
Kansas City fans who have already purchased tickets for the 2009 season will have the option to receive a full refund via mail starting February 1st. Fans with any other questions may visit the Brigade web site: www.kcbrigade.com.
Brigade coaches, players and staff were notified today of the suspension of play for the 2009 season. "We have a very talented group of associates, and we are sorry to see them go," Likens said. "We look forward to the opportunity to work with many of them again next season."
The Brigade averaged around 12,000 fans last year at Sprint Center. While their record was disappointing, Coach Porter and the new offensive coordinator, Skip Foster, were well prepared for an exciting season. Their discussions with several key players were promising. Likens said, "Now we look forward to 2010. With a new foundation for the league, and the support of our Kansas City fans, The Brigade will shine in Kansas City for many years to come."
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from December 15, 2008
- Dallas officials work to help improve business model of league - Dallas Desperados
- Is the AFL's timeout the end? - OSC Original by Dean Jackson
- Soul Respond to AFL's 2009 Season Suspension - Philadelphia Soul
- AFL, Utah Blaze suspend operations for 2009 season - Utah Blaze
- AFL Suspends 2009 Season; Rampage Prepare for Future - Grand Rapids Rampage
- Renacci makes statement on AFL suspension - Columbus Destroyers
- Force Responds To Arena Football League's Announcement Regarding Suspending Play For 2009 Season - Georgia Force
- Brigade Responds To Arena Football League's Announcement Regarding Suspending Play For 2009 Season - Kansas City Brigade
- AFL suspends operations for 2009 season - AFL I
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Brigade Stories
- Brigade Responds To Arena Football League's Announcement Regarding Suspending Play For 2009 Season
- Skip Foster Joins Brigade Coaching Staff As Offensive Coordinator
- Kansas City Brigade announce open tryout date
- Quincy Carter invited to Miami Dolphins training camp
- Quincy Carter signs two year extension through 2010