Force Responds To Arena Football League's Announcement Regarding Suspending Play For 2009 Season
The Georgia Force, in response to the Arena Football League's decision to suspend play for the 2009 season, today met with its coaches, players and staff, and began mailing refunds to fans who had already purchased tickets.
"We are disappointed that we will not be playing in the 2009 season, but we agree with and support the need for the Arena Football League to take this time to strengthen its financial foundation to ensure long-term success," Georgia Force President Dick Sullivan said. "We are very proud of the achievements of the Georgia Force over the last four seasons of ownership, and we hope to field another strong team in 2010."
Earlier today, the Arena Football League announced that its owners had voted to suspend play for the 2009 season, opting to focus their efforts on strengthening the league for 2010 and beyond. The owners agreed that by implementing long-term structural and financial improvements, the league will be able to expand its unique brand of football to more fans in the future.
Full refund checks will be mailed immediately to Georgia Force fans who have already purchased tickets for the 2009 season. Fans with any other questions may leave a message at 1-888-55-FORCE, and a Force representative will return their calls within two business days.
Georgia Force coaches, players and staff were notified today of the suspension of play for the 2009 season. "We have a very talented group of associates, and we are sorry to see them go," Sullivan said. "We hope to have the opportunity to work with many of them again in the future."
The Georgia Force finished the 2008 season with a 10-6 record and the club's first back-to-back winning seasons. The Force won three Southern Division Championships in the last four years.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from December 15, 2008
- Dallas officials work to help improve business model of league - Dallas Desperados
- Is the AFL's timeout the end? - OSC Original by Dean Jackson
- Soul Respond to AFL's 2009 Season Suspension - Philadelphia Soul
- AFL, Utah Blaze suspend operations for 2009 season - Utah Blaze
- AFL Suspends 2009 Season; Rampage Prepare for Future - Grand Rapids Rampage
- Renacci makes statement on AFL suspension - Columbus Destroyers
- Force Responds To Arena Football League's Announcement Regarding Suspending Play For 2009 Season - Georgia Force
- Brigade Responds To Arena Football League's Announcement Regarding Suspending Play For 2009 Season - Kansas City Brigade
- AFL suspends operations for 2009 season - AFL I
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.