Dallas officials work to help improve business model of league
IRVING, Texas - The Dallas Desperados released the following information in regards to the Arena Football League's suspension of the 2009 season.
"Our involvement with the Arena Football League was always geared toward promoting football on a year-round basis," said Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Desperados owner Jerry Jones. "Our experience with the Desperados has accomplished those goals and has been very positive. As we move forward we will explore all of the options that are available in regard to the future of the AFL and the Desperados."
The Arena Football League announced on Monday that the 2009 season would be suspended while the AFL's Board of Directors along with the Arena Football League Players Association work towards an agreement on developing a long-term plan for its economic model.
"It's been a tough decision that ultimately led to the suspension of the 2009 season," said Desperados Chief Operating Officer Shy Anderson. "We have a great business in Arena Football that we are looking to continue to build upon with a better model for the future, but during these difficult economic times, we felt this decision was most appropriate to solidify our business model.
"The Arena Football League's Board of Directors came to this decision unanimously and see it as a beginning point for an even more successful future. The plan at the league level, as well as here with the Dallas Desperados, is to roll up our sleeves up and work out a long-term business plan with an intent to play in the 2010 season."
Fans who have purchased 2009 Desperados season tickets or groups tickets can be expected to be personally contacted over the next two weeks by a Dallas Desperados ticket representative to explain the team's refund process and/or other options for reimbursement.
For more information, please call the Desperados ticket hotline at 972-785-4900.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from December 15, 2008
- Dallas officials work to help improve business model of league - Dallas Desperados
- Is the AFL's timeout the end? - OSC Original by Dean Jackson
- Soul Respond to AFL's 2009 Season Suspension - Philadelphia Soul
- AFL, Utah Blaze suspend operations for 2009 season - Utah Blaze
- AFL Suspends 2009 Season; Rampage Prepare for Future - Grand Rapids Rampage
- Renacci makes statement on AFL suspension - Columbus Destroyers
- Force Responds To Arena Football League's Announcement Regarding Suspending Play For 2009 Season - Georgia Force
- Brigade Responds To Arena Football League's Announcement Regarding Suspending Play For 2009 Season - Kansas City Brigade
- AFL suspends operations for 2009 season - AFL I
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.