Pettis Named 2008 Ironman of the Year
DALLAS, Texas - Dallas Desperados WR/DB Will Pettis became only the third player in league history to be named the Arena Football League's Ironman of the Year in consecutive seasons as announced by league officials on Tuesday.
"I'm blessed, and I'm glad to be able to receive the award," said Pettis on ESPN News The Hotlist. "I hope the Arena Football League continues to grow and allow guys like me that were in-between positions on the big field to come into this league and flourish."
Pettis finished the regular season with 1,960 all-purpose yards, including 1,035 receiving yards with 25 touchdowns; 37 rushing yards with five touchdowns; and 741 kickoff return yards. He also completed 2-of-2 passes for six yards with two touchdowns and notched 22.5 tackles, two interceptions - including one return for a touchdown - and four pass breakups on defense.
For his six-year career, Pettis has accumulated 14,525 all-purpose yards, good for 11th-most in AFL history. He is the Desperados all-time leading receiver with 571 receptions for 6,624 yards (11.6 avg.) and 141 touchdowns, and has also tallied 121 rushing yards on 49 attempts with 15 touchdowns. 362 kickoffs returned for 7,095 yards with 14 touchdowns and 29 missed field goal returns for 443 yards. Defensively, Pettis has made 241.5 total tackles, two tackles for loss, 48 pass breakups, 20 interceptions, three fumble recoveries and two forced fumbles.
During the 2008 season, Pettis was named Ironman of the Game 10 times and Ironman of the Week four times while also taking home Ironman of the Month honors during the month of May. He was also named to the 2008 AFL All-Ironman Team for the fifth time of his career.
Pettis is the only Desperado in franchise history to have ever won Ironman of the Year, and joins teammate Colston Weatherington, who was named as the 2008 AFL Lineman of the Year, to receive 2008 postseason honors. In all, the Desperados have won eight individual league awards including, Ironman of the Year (2008 - Will Pettis; 2007 - Will Pettis), Lineman of the Year (2008 - Weatherington; 2006 - Weatherington; 2003 Briggs), Coach of the Year (2006 - Will McClay) and Executive of the Year (2006 - Shy Anderson; 2007 - Shy Anderson).
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from July 15, 2008
- Rattlers' Bruce Named to AFL's Al Lucas Hero Team - Arizona Rattlers
- Pettis Named 2008 Ironman of the Year - Dallas Desperados
- Dallas' Will Pettis Named 2008 AFL Ironman of the Year - AFL I
- Eight TDs Earns D'Orazio Weekly Honor - Philadelphia Soul
- Swayne Named to 2008 Al Lucas Hero Team for Community Efforts - New York Dragons
- Philadelphia's D'Orazio, San Jose's Smith and San Jose's Geathers Earn Conference Championship Honor - AFL I
- Columbus Destroyers Name Pat Sperduto Head Coach - Columbus Destroyers
- Mance Activated from IR - Philadelphia Soul
- Championship Chatter - AFL I
- McFadden Named to Al Lucas Hero Team for Community Service - Grand Rapids Rampage
- Gladiators WR Otis Amey Named to Al Lucas Hero Team - Cleveland Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.