Renacci makes statement on AFL suspension
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Columbus Destroyers Partner and Managing Board Member Jim Renacci issued the following statement today after the Arena Football League Board of Directors announced it will suspend the 2009 season subject to agreement and cooperation with the Arena Football League Players Association while the League works on developing a long-term plan to improve its economic model.
"On behalf of the Columbus Destroyers, I am disappointed we had to suspend operations but believe it is the proper decision at this time. We, along with other professional sports leagues, are experiencing the worst economic times in over 30 years. As a league, we now must start to build a solid economic plan and we will begin to develop that plan in the next 24 hours.
"The fans of this community have shown great passion and support for the Destroyers over the past five seasons and I sincerely thank them for that. Over the next few months, the league will develop a long term plan so that hopefully our fans will once again be able to see Destroyers football, the affordable sports entertainment product they have come to expect and enjoy."
The club also announced that any fan who has made a deposit for 2009 Destroyers season tickets will be entitled to a full refund. Account representatives from the Nationwide Arena ticketing office will immediately begin calling all customers who have made a deposit to arrange for the refund to be processed. Customers can also call 877-COLS-AFL (800-265-7235) to speak to a Nationwide Arena account representative.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from December 15, 2008
- Dallas officials work to help improve business model of league - Dallas Desperados
- Is the AFL's timeout the end? - OSC Original by Dean Jackson
- Soul Respond to AFL's 2009 Season Suspension - Philadelphia Soul
- AFL, Utah Blaze suspend operations for 2009 season - Utah Blaze
- AFL Suspends 2009 Season; Rampage Prepare for Future - Grand Rapids Rampage
- Renacci makes statement on AFL suspension - Columbus Destroyers
- Force Responds To Arena Football League's Announcement Regarding Suspending Play For 2009 Season - Georgia Force
- Brigade Responds To Arena Football League's Announcement Regarding Suspending Play For 2009 Season - Kansas City Brigade
- AFL suspends operations for 2009 season - AFL I
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Destroyers Stories
- Renacci makes statement on AFL suspension
- Columbus Destroyers Announce Football Fan Pack In Time For Holidays
- Columbus Destroyers Receive First Pick In Dispersal Draft
- Columbus Destroyers Announce Assistant Coaches
- Destroyers acquire all-AFL linebacker Steve Watson