Bridgeport's Playoff Hopes Dashed in Setback on Friday
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Bridgeport Sound Tigers (44-27-3-1), proud AHL affiliate of the New York Islanders, saw their playoff hopes come to an end on Friday in a 7-0 setback against the Springfield Thunderbirds (31-33-9-2) at the MassMutual Center.
The Sound Tigers fired 28 shots at Springfield's Adam Wilcox, but the second-year netminder stopped each of them for his fourth shutout of the season. On the flip side, the Thunderbirds notched five goals in the second period alone, helping them to their first regulation win against Bridgeport at home.
With the loss, the Sound Tigers have been mathematically eliminated from playoff contention. The Hershey Bears clinched a post-season berth with a 2-1 win in Wilkes-Barre, Penn. this evening and the Providence Bruins also secured a playoff spot.
Springfield registered a pair of goals in the opening frame to take an early 2-0 lead. Jared McCann notched his first of three goals on the night at 4:24 when he received Mackenzie Weegar's diagonal pass at the bottom of the left circle and fired a wrist shot past starting goaltender Eamon McAdam while the T-Birds worked their first power play.
Chase Balisy followed with his 17th tally of the season at the 18:03 mark when he settled Jayce Hawryluk's feed at the right hash marks and filtered a shot inside the left post, past McAdam's;
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 14, 2017
- Admirals Handle Hogs 6-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Desrosiers Earns First Career Shutout - Texas Stars
- Remarkable Phantoms Comeback Secures Home Ice in Calder Cup - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Earn Point in Loss at Iowa, Stay in Central Division - Chicago Wolves
- Bridgeport's Playoff Hopes Dashed in Setback on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Over 9,800 Fans See Wild Defeat Wolves 3-2 in Home Finale - Iowa Wild
- Devils Fall to Amerks - Albany Devils
- Wolf Pack Game Recap - Utica Comets 5, Hartford Wolf Pack 4 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Take Down Senators, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Lose to Hershey, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Drop Season Finale to Manitoba, 1-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Stay Alive in Playoff Race - Charlotte Checkers
- P-Bruins Clinch Postseason Berth Despite 5-4 OT Loss - Providence Bruins
- Manitoba Shut Down Cleveland - Manitoba Moose
- B-Sens Falter in Syracuse 4-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Toronto Topples St. John's 5-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals, Predators Extend Affiliation Agreement - Milwaukee Admirals
- Agostino Named AHL's Most Valuable Player - Chicago Wolves
- Playoff Fate to be Determined this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.