Toronto Topples St. John's 5-3
ST. JOHN'S, NL - Charles Hudon scored twice for the St. John's IceCaps as they were topped 5-3 by the Toronto Marlies on Friday night at Mile One Centre.
Toronto kicked off the scoring with back-to-back first period markers from Steve Oleksy and Brendan Leipsic before the IceCaps' Hudon potted his first of the evening on the power play, from Joel Hanley and Chris Terry.
The Marlies added another goal just 23 seconds into the middle frame, but the IceCaps battled back to tie it up with Hudon's second of the night (unassisted), and a shorthanded tally from Jacob de la Rose (from Stefan Matteau and Charlie Lindgren).
The tie was broken just 20 seconds later with a goal from Toronto's Seth Griffith, and after an almost scoreless third frame, the Marlies hit the IceCaps empty net to seal the win.
Lindgren stopped 19 shots for St. John's, while Marlies netminder Garret Sparks turned aside 25 for the visitors.
The IceCaps can still clinch the final Northern Division playoff sport tomorrow evening, so come out and Rally in Red as St. John's looks to stretch into the post-season!
The IceCaps wrap up the 2016-17 regular season with a rematch against the Toronto Marlies tomorrow night at Mile One Centre. Catch all the action with broadcaster Brian Rogers at www.stjohnsicecaps.com, KIXX Country 930AM and www.ahllive.com. IceCaps tickets can be purchased in person at the Mile One Centre box office, by phone at 709-576-7657 or online at www.mileonecentre.com.
STJ: Hudon (26, 27), de la Rose (14)
TOR: Oleksy (4), Leipsic (18), Moore (13), Griffith (10), Valiev (3)
STJ: Lindgren - L(19/23)
TOR: Sparks - W(25/28)
IceCaps Power Play: 1/2
IceCaps Penalty Kill: 2/3
Molson Canadian Three Stars:
1. Charles Hudon - STJ
2. Steve Oleksy - TOR
3. Brett Findlay - TOR
IceCaps Hardest Working Player: Joel Hanley
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 14, 2017
- Admirals Handle Hogs 6-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Desrosiers Earns First Career Shutout - Texas Stars
- Remarkable Phantoms Comeback Secures Home Ice in Calder Cup - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Earn Point in Loss at Iowa, Stay in Central Division - Chicago Wolves
- Bridgeport's Playoff Hopes Dashed in Setback on Friday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Over 9,800 Fans See Wild Defeat Wolves 3-2 in Home Finale - Iowa Wild
- Devils Fall to Amerks - Albany Devils
- Wolf Pack Game Recap - Utica Comets 5, Hartford Wolf Pack 4 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Take Down Senators, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Lose to Hershey, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Drop Season Finale to Manitoba, 1-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Stay Alive in Playoff Race - Charlotte Checkers
- P-Bruins Clinch Postseason Berth Despite 5-4 OT Loss - Providence Bruins
- Manitoba Shut Down Cleveland - Manitoba Moose
- B-Sens Falter in Syracuse 4-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Toronto Topples St. John's 5-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals, Predators Extend Affiliation Agreement - Milwaukee Admirals
- Agostino Named AHL's Most Valuable Player - Chicago Wolves
- Playoff Fate to be Determined this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.