Brahmas Top the Cutthroats in 1-0 Goaltender Duel
DENVER - Brad Fogal of the Fort Worth Brahmas was one save better than Kieran Millan of the Denver Cutthroats in a 1-0, goaltenders' duel on Saturday night at Denver Coliseum in front of 3,465 in attendance.
Tomas Klempa scored the game-winner at 6:18 of the second period deflecting Daniel Spivak's point shot for his 14th of the season, and third goal in the last two games against the Cutthroats (23-19-6). With the win, the Brahmas (27-15-5) open up a seven point lead on the Cutthroats for third place in the Central Hockey League. Denver still sits in fourth with 52 points.
It was another frustrating night for the Denver power play unit, who finished 0-for-7 in the game one day after going 0-for-6 in a 4-3 loss to the Brahmas on Friday. AJ Gale saw his six-game point streak come to an end after hitting the goal post twice in the contest, including during a 5-on-3 power play for the Fish for 1:49 early on in the third period.
The shutout was the second one suffered by the Cutthroats this season as Fogal stopped 23 shots for the Brahmas. Millan finished with 24 saves for Denver.
The loss puts Denver in a three-game winless skid on home ice (0-2-1) and closes out the regular season series against the Brahmas with both teams winning three games. Denver's Troy Schwab also saw his five-game point streak come to an end in the game.
Fort Worth finished the game 0-for-5 on the power play.
The Cutthroats visit the Missouri Mavericks on Tuesday at 6:05 PM MST.
1. Brad Fogal (FTW)
2. Tomas Klempa (FTW)
3. Kieran Millan (DEN)
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2013
- Sundogs Earn Win in Rapid City, 4-1 - Arizona Sundogs
- Brahmas Top the Cutthroats in 1-0 Goaltender Duel - Denver Cutthroats
- Fogal's Shutout Seals Brahmas' 1-0 Victory - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Sundogs Upend Rush 4-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Mavs End Oilers' Streak in 5-2 Win - Kansas City Mavericks
- Lowe's Two Goals Propels Thunder Past Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Tulsa's Win Streak Snapped in 5-2 Loss at Missouri - Tulsa Oilers
- Blaze Break Skid with Win over Mallards - Bloomington Blaze
- Bloomington Slips Past Mallards 3-1 - Quad City Mallards
- Americans Big Third Period Leads to 5-1 Win - Allen Americans
- Thunder Drop Second-Straight Shootout to Oilers - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster