Bowker Blast Leads Grizzlies over Beavers, 6-3
FRESNO, Calif. - John Bowker capped a two-out, four-run rally in the fifth inning with a three-run homer as the Fresno Grizzlies won the opener of a four-game series over the Portland Beavers 6-3 at Chukchansi Park Monday night.
The reigning PCL batting champion blasted Mark Worrell's (1-4) 0-1 pitch over the wall in right field to give the Grizzlies (42-22) their sixth straight win over the Beavers (24-39) and seventh in eight meetings this season.
Former Oregon State standout Tyler Graham and Brett Pill had two hits apiece while rehabbing infielder Edgar Renteria hit an RBI double for the Grizzlies.
Mike Baxter, recently named the PCL Player of the Week, had an RBI double in the first inning to extend his hitting streak to 11 games, a Beavers season high this season. Kyle Blanks, who joined the Beavers Monday on rehab from San Diego, was 1-for-3 with a walk.
Fresno's Alex Hinshaw (1-2) struck out two and gave up one hit while pitching a scoreless fifth inning in relief of Henry Sosa, who went four innings and allowed two runs.
Beavers starter Radhames Liz, who was activated from the disabled list on Monday, surrendered one run on three hits and two walks in four innings.
Portland scored a pair of runs in the first when Baxter knocked his RBI double before coming around to score on a groundout by Eric Munson.
After the Grizzlies got one run back on a double-steal by Ben Copeland and Steve Holm, they rallied for four runs in the fifth inning with two outs in the inning. Brock Bond and Renteria hit back-to-back doubles to tie the game and Graham hit a bloop single to right before Bowker gave Fresno the lead for good.
Fresno's Eugenio Velez added an RBI single in the seventh and Portland's Craig Cooper hit a pinch-single in the ninth to drive in his team-leading 37th run.
The Beavers and Grizzlies continue the four-game series Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Baxter was named the PCL Player of the Week earlier in the day after hitting .455 with three home runs and 10 RBIs in six games last week ... the Beavers, who have never lost a season series to Fresno, are 1-7 against the Grizzlies this season ... Emmanuel Burriss went 0-for-3 with a walk on his rehab assignment with Fresno from San Francisco ... the Grizzlies own the third-best record in minor league baseball and the best above the Class A level.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 14, 2010
- Halman's Two Homers Down Sox, Lose 11-6 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Bowker Blast Leads Grizzlies over Beavers, 6-3 - Portland Beavers
- River Cats Hold On for 5-3 Win over Aces - Reno Aces
- Express Fall Short in Ninth, Lose 5-4 to I-Cubs - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Drop Homestand Opener to Redbirds, 7-5 - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs Hang On to Top Express, 5-4 - Iowa Cubs
- Baxter's Cycle, Kirkman's Gem Earn Pair PCL Awards - PCL
- Beavers' Mike Baxter Named Player Of The Week - Portland Beavers
- RedHawks Postponed - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss