Beavers' Mike Baxter Named Player Of The Week
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Pacific Coast League today named Portland Beavers first baseman-outfielder Mike Baxter its Player of the Week for the span inclusive of June 7-13.
Baxter, 25, batted .455 (10-for-22) with two doubles, one triple, three home runs, 10 RBIs, seven runs scored and five walks in six games. Tuesday afternoon at Reno, Baxter went 5-for-5 with six RBIs while recording the first cycle in modern franchise history (since 2001). His five-hit game was the Beavers' second and the eighth in the league this season. He became the first Beaver to knock in six runs in a game since Jack Cust drove in seven on June 16, 2006.
Currently riding a Beavers season-long, 10-game hitting streak, Baxter is hitting .285 (55-for-193) with 11 doubles, six triples, six home runs, 23 RBIs, 29 runs scored and 12 stolen bases in 57 games for Portland this season. He ranks second in the PCL in triples and is in the top 10 in stolen bases.
A native of Queens, N.Y., Baxter is the first Beaver to earn the honor since Chad Huffman was so-honored for August 3-9, 2009.
In 2009, the Vanderbilt University alum was named the Texas League Player of the Week for two consecutive weeks while playing for Class AA San Antonio. From May 18-24, Baxter hit .500 (12-for-24) with a five-hit game, two doubles, nine RBIs and six runs scored in six games. He followed up that performance by batting .577 (15-for-26) with five doubles, one triple, one home run, five RBIs and seven runs scored in seven games from May 25-June 1.
Oklahoma City's Michael Kirkman was selected as the PCL Pitcher of the Week after striking out nine batters and yielding three hits while tossing seven shutout innings in a win at Omaha on Tuesday.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 14, 2010
- Halman's Two Homers Down Sox, Lose 11-6 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Bowker Blast Leads Grizzlies over Beavers, 6-3 - Portland Beavers
- River Cats Hold On for 5-3 Win over Aces - Reno Aces
- Express Fall Short in Ninth, Lose 5-4 to I-Cubs - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Drop Homestand Opener to Redbirds, 7-5 - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs Hang On to Top Express, 5-4 - Iowa Cubs
- Baxter's Cycle, Kirkman's Gem Earn Pair PCL Awards - PCL
- Beavers' Mike Baxter Named Player Of The Week - Portland Beavers
- RedHawks Postponed - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss