Boston Set Sights on Portland for East-West Clash
Boston (January 28, 2009) - The Boston Blazers, who completed a home-and- home series sweep against the Philadelphia Wings last weekend, continue their home stand at the TD Banknorth Garden next Saturday, January 31 at 7:30 PM with a match-up against West Division foe the Portland LumberJax (2-3).
Last Saturday, Boston improved its NLL record to 2-2, downing Philadelphia,11-7, in front of 4,423 fans at TD Banknorth Garden. Blazers forward Matt Lyons, who scored two goals and notched three assists in the Blazers first win in franchise history the previous night, a 13-11 victory at the Wachovia Center, started Saturday night's contest by scoring three times in the first quarter. He finished the night with a game-high five goals.
For the game, Daryl Veltman notched two goals and Jason Bloom, Brendan Thenhaus, Dan Dawson and younger brother Paul Dawson all scored one goal apiece for Boston. The elder Dawson, whose goal was scored shorthanded, added the first five assists of the game and dished out a game-high seven on the night.
Lyons also scored the team's third and fifth goals of the opening stanza before the Wings finally got on the scoreboard at the 1:46 mark of the second quarter to cut the lead to 5-1. Lyons, though, struck again exactly four minutes later to give the Blazers a 6-1 halftime advantage. The Wings offense finally came alive in the third quarter just as it did Friday night. But unlike Friday night's third quarter, when Philadelphia took its first lead of the night, 9-8, thanks to a four-goal run, the Blazers were able to come out of the quarter with an 8- 5 edge. In the final frame, the Wings closed the margin to one goal at 8-7, but the Blazers responded with successive scores by Veltman and an empty-net goal by P. Dawson to ice the victory.
Blazers forward D. Dawson, following the old adage "it is better to give than to receive," paced the offense attack for the Blazers in its weekend series against the Wings with 14 assists (game-high seven assists in both games). The seven-year NLL veteran now leads the Blazers with 26 points overall (five goals and an NLL-high 21 assists) and is ranked second in the NLL to Titans forward Casey Powell in points scored (33). The beneficiaries of D. Dawson's generosity were Lyons (seven goals in the series) and Veltman (six goals in the series, team-high 11 goals overall).
PORTLAND LUMBERJAX PREVIEW
Portland (2-3) visits the Hub on Saturday night (1/31/09) after besting the Edmonton Rush, 15-10, last Friday (1/23/09) at the Rose Garden. The LumberJax are led by Cory Conway (10 goals, 15 assists), Ryan Powell (six goals, 13 assists) and Derek Malawsky (three goals, 14 assists). The match- up versus the 'Jax marks a reunion for Blazers forward D. Dawson who scored 38 goals and added 43 assists for the LumberJax last season and helped to lead the team to the NLL's 2008 West Division title and a berth in the 2008 Champion's Cup Finals.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from January 28, 2009
- NLL, Mammoth release All-Star weekend activities - NLL
- Roughnecks Rest Atop Western Division - Calgary Roughnecks
- Knighthawks Sign Faceoff Specialist Anthony Kelly - Rochester Knighthawks
- Buffalo Bandits vs. Edmonton Rush - Edmonton Rush
- Knighthawks To Welcome Local Sports Stars And Mascots Saturday - Rochester Knighthawks
- Mike Thompson Named Defensive Player Of The Week - Buffalo Bandits
- Dan Teat NLL Overall Player of the Week - Edmonton Rush
- Boston Set Sights on Portland for East-West Clash - Boston Blazers
- Codron Transitions To Player Of The Week - Portland Lumberjax
- Edmonton's Dan Teat named Player of the Week - NLL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Blazers Stories
- Boston Blazers to Move Operations for 2013 Season
- Blazers Dawson & Cosmo Named to All Pro Teams
- Blazers Kyle Rubisch Named to 2011 NLL All-Rookie Team
- Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo
- Blazers Set to Battle Division Leader Bandits in Divisional Semifinals